MichaelBess

D60 (was Helmet cameras)

Easily 90 percent of what I shoot is 4-way, so I don't need -anything- approaching the quality of a VX-2000 on a day-to-day basis. My TRV10 is doing just fine even after 3 years of fairly heavy use.

If it gets the job done, great! Save the cash for more boogies!

Speaking of the D-60, how happy are you with it? I have seriously considered one for the mere fact of quick turn-around printing for my customers. I would love to save the hassle of the going to the photo labs, shipping headaches, blow-up costs, etc. I have an RV that I travel with and it would not take too much to bring my printer...

Michael

Speaking of the D-60, how happy are you with it?

Pretty dang happy. I'll be writing an article about it after my big-way season is over and I have the time.

Was talking with Brad Hood just today about the almost irrelevance of medium format at this point and that the D60 is now, without a doubt the hot ticket for the instant gratification market. I'm surprised that Brad doesn't have one yet, but it's only a matter of a short time I'm sure. He's still shooting film for this event (how quaint). ;)

I've been out with Raoul and OB shooting the POPs 120-ways for the last couple of days and we're printing proofs and putting them up near the debrief room so folks can see the cool stuff. I'm certain that if there is a completion, we'll have a difficult time keeping up with the orders -- and that's with three printers going.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The epson 1280 is just about the same printer as my 1270. (it's the same print quality, but a bit faster and a couple of other things) This is an amazing printer. You can get them new around $400. It will do 13" by I think 44 feet with roll paper. The 1270 is what I've been using for almost 2 years. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

per square foot I believe the roll is cheaper. As far as using the roll to do regular 8x10 type prints I've never tried that and never priced it out. Panoramas are fun to do, but I guess try to figure out what you want from a printer and how big/fast you want it to print. I was mostly just saying that the 1280 is nice as you can do more with it that like the 785. (or the 780 like I have also)-Tony

All three of us, Raoul, OB and myself, have Epson 1280s. They seriously rock on everything from 5x7s to 13x19s.

The only drawback is the price of ink and paper, but in reality it's still insignificant compared to the cost of a custom photo house, so, I guess I -could- quit bitchin' about it. Still, if you carry enough paper and ink inventory for a big event and you -don't- make a lot of sales because there's no completion . . . it sucks. I just did that with the POPS event this weekend, so I'm sitting on about $500 worth of paper and ink. [:/] Fortunately, I have two more big-way weekends scheduled in the next month.

quade -

Thanks again guys. I can't wait to see what the digital domain holds by the time I'm ready to fly stills/video (400 or 500 jumps from now). That's quite a way off. Just working on AFF now, but the weather hasn't been cooperating here in Buffalo. (can't wait til next season!!) I'll just have to stick to shooting from the ground and at work until then. matt

Where did you D60 guys get your remote trig connector (N3) ??
Did you buy the $90 remote and cut it off ?
Have my D60 now, shot some at the World Cup (only on the ground) and can't wait to mount it on my helmet..
Regards, Trond

When you print an 8x10 from a d60 you are reducing the size, not enlarging... the original jpeg is something like 12x18...

The quality stands up very well...I don't think the ordinary person could tell the difference.

Can you tell which are which in the magazines (parachutist, skydiving, Sports Illustrated, etc)?

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

You can take about 3 fps for 8 frames then about 1 a second until the card is full. It's fast. I have yet to wait on the camera to take a picture. It isn't a long wait either until the next burst of 8 is ready. It has to do with their double buffer. You give a little to shoot digital, but with this camera you give VERY little compared to any other digital of the same price range. (Any I know of) Like I said before it is so much like a real film camera-it's just digital instead. -Tony

Actually, they're better than the best 8x10s I was ever able to get out of the custom photo house I was using -- and it was the best photo house in Orange County, California.

The 8x10s printed on an Epson 1280 from a D60 Jpeg "Fine" image are very comparable to the kind of image you'd expect to get from a medium format camera.
quade -