Clownburner

Alternatives to tempo reserve...

I'm not even thrilled with the idea of not being able to test the actual reserve I'm jumping with. :S

Then hook your reserve up, as the main, to a student rig equipped for static line and make a jump from 5 or 6K. That would be a great way to try out your reserve if it doesn't have a bridle-attach point for a regular bag & PC.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

you say manufacturers, which ones?? i know PD does, but i didn't know anyone else did.

Well, I was being vague, but you can hook up some Ravens (with the bridle attachment point) and jump it once and PD has a demo program, so I sorta went with the plural. Of course I guess you could rig any reserve with a line so that you don't lose you D-bag and PC and jump it, direct bag it, or use an old bag and PC.

I suppose all manufacturers should have the program, and all jumpers should demo their reserve before they buy it or have to use it, but I have only heard of a couple of people actually demoing a reserve. Again, skydivers aren't too terrible concerned with safety when it involves actually putting forth effort and/or money for that safety.

Hook

>Again, skydivers aren't too terrible concerned with safety when it involves actually putting forth effort and/or money for that safety.

They are unwilling to spend the $45 to fly their reserve as a demo but are more then willing to drop another $400 on stainless steel options for their rig, or now they want titatium or anodized rings at even more cost.

Stlye over function again huh?

I'm yet to jump a PDR but did some jumps on Tri's last year to remind myself how similar a 7 cell would fly and land.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Rob, one question: Do you think a PDF Techno is as strong as a PD Reserve?

Or is PD Reserve as strong as PDF Techno ?

" end quote.

Techno reserves and P.D. reserves are probably equally strong.
The difference is that Technos use Spectra suspension line for canopy reinforcement where most other manufacturers use nylon tapes.
At currently fashionable reserve wing-loadings (more than one pound per square foot), I would not buy any reserve without span-wise reinforcing. Fortunately all the better reserve canopies come standard with span-wise reinforcement on the bottom skin: Amigo, P.D., Raven-M, Swift Plus, Techno and the last year of Tempo production.