base698

Filming Tandems with no Wings

I definitely could not. Maybe in a sit in a heavy-flappy freefly suit.

I'm a solid 6' 180#. I just sent my C-wing Tony suit back to get the bigger "D" wing. With a light Tandem pair I was so "big" I didn't have much left to manuever. With everything "all the way out" when I'd adjust to manuever I'd start to drop out.

I think Clay shoots in a sit. That's how it's done. I'm determined to be successful at it belly-down before I start to freefly video tandems.

I had my first successful tandem shoot in a sit last weekend. Ive been trying it some in the past and always dropped out. Last weekend I was shooting passenger weighing about 220 on a TM about 190 and I was sitting like a fool! And that was with my wings tucked under my leg straps. Got me thinking about what I could do with the wings all the way unfurled...

At the DZ I film at there are five of us (well more like four as I am still sidelined). Three shoot in freefly suits and two in winged suits. With enough practice you can go either way. I prefer to shoot in a freefly suit because I like the extra freedom with my arms and I can get all the same angles. Plus I find my freefly suit more comfy.

Winged suit is a bit "easier" to fly because it has booties and getting steep below the subject is a lot easier and smoother at first. Then again, it adds it's own special mojo while climbing and during pull. Like I said, I prefer a freefly suit and will always film in one.
Drewfus McDoofus

ok, ive been out of shooting tandem vids for the last 2 years, but the 3 before that i was working steady at a small dz doing lots. i use only my freefly suit, (i do have a cam suit (thin slippery tony with big zero p wings ) and i had no problem staying with light or heavy passengers on my belly.( the 200 pound 5'6" to 5'8" guys fall the fastest, taller ones seem a little slower). my freefly suit is heavy cotton and big, but im used to flying it, i video rw with it too, and once in a while ill even do the occasional rw jump with it, and seem to always have to slow myself down. i only weigh 155#, and im 5' 10 1/2", so not a big boy, but i can honk. both t/m's at the dz were big, id say 220, and 230. 2 years ago i started at a different dz, and realized just how fast im used to going. i went out first time with a tandem, ( t/m about 175# and an average sized passenger) and immediately went low on them and that was the only time that i wish i had some wings. felt like an idiot for that one, only second to the time i exited videoing the wrong group. duhh. anyhow, thats my deal on the subject, i havent jumped with many smaller t/m's, so maybe id find the use for some wings. sub 100 pound chicks even with a big t/m will fall slow as all hell too, but i could still keep up with them.

I have several suits to choose from depending on the size and weight of the tandem pair and my guess at their speed. I'm average build and have a good range on my belly or in a sit. Usually I wear my freefly suit for the majority of my tandem videos. It has enough drag to go up, down, and all around all but the floatiest tandems. I have a Bev camera suit that is great for 4-way and all through the tandem range but a lot of times I prefer the freefly suit without wings unless I need to go really slow. If I get a really really fast tandem I can always sit in the freefly suit or use my simple, tight RW suit if I want to be on my belly. It really just depends on my mood whether or not I jump with or without wings.

Blue Skies
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry