epawlak

JVC experiance

Im looking for some advice from the pros.
I have a JVC GR-DVP3U mDV camera and was wondering if anyone else uses this camera for skydiving? Do they make wide angle lenses for this camera and if so can anyone with this camera recommend a good one that would fit.

Thanks

I have never owned a JVC but every person I have ever met that had one hated it. They just don't seem to hold up to the rigors of skydiving. The heads usually goof up after a few months of jumping it. As for a WA lens. You can put any Kenko or other manufacturer's lens on there with an adapter ring. Do a search on this forum. There are lots of posts about what lens is good for what.

Cost to have my Sony PC-110 have a new firewire port and Lanc port = $225. Sony's are'nt cheap at all. Thats the second 110/120 to die on the DZ this summer. The other one had the IR and LANC's go out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Phree, I don't think I ever thanked you for advising me that the lanc port on my 110 might be the culprit for my cameye not working. I think you were the one who put me on to that, and you were right.

I was lucky, I had paid through the nose and got the thing at Costco, but the upside is they took it back for a full refund no questions asked. I've got a 120 now, and I tell you, I baby that lanc connection. Pushing the D-box over that plug is what wore the thing out, I'm guessing, so I modified stuff a bit to take the stress off that plug.

Anyhow, thanks, and kudos for the long distance diagnostics.

Hey...

I used to jump (over 4 yrs ago) a JVC DVX camera. I had quite a bit of problems with it. It would constantly cut off due to moisture - and everyone w/ sony's would be fine. I finally got rid of it and got a PC1, and I never had that problem again.

If you don't NEED the camera to work on every jump (ie: not videoing tandems, aff, etc), I guess the JVC is fine. But I needed it to work everytime, and I'm glad I've got a sony now.

(But to be honest, we've had some folks lately @ the DZ who's sony's have had moisture probs.. none of us with the PC models - only the TRV models.)

Blue Skies!
-Tommy

I owned a JVC 9500, I'm almost glad it's now somewhere on the fields nearby the Gap (Fr) DZ, after my helmet was trown of... I own a Sony now, which is far more skydiver-friendly.
Most irritating was setting the manual focus: is that possible on that JVC? will it stay on, also after turning off and on your camera???
just my 2cts

epawlak,

I've got a JVC GR-DV300, not a bad camera. Haven't had any of the problems with condensation or water yet. I've had it for about a year and have done just about 100 vids with it. Good camera, good vids, good price. The only thing with JVC (newer ones) is that they don't have the LANC ability. (Which is needed for a CAM EYE button.) Not many people jump JVC's so finding boxes for protection are hard to find. I resorted to building my own. It's working pretty good. Like everyone said, most lenses will work, but you may need to purchase adapter rings to match. I don't jump with WA, but have thought about looking in to it.