one51

New camcorder models... which one?

Hi all, was looking around locally to find what are some nice camcorders for skydive vid. The ones that came to the top:
JVC GRDVP7U ($828)
Canon Elura40MC ($663)
Sony DVR-PC101 ($1000 or so)
The 1st two, I can get a good deal on since I have a friend who works for a nationwide retail chain , but I'm not sure what accessories are out there. At least the Canon, there is a wide-angle available for it (made by Canon). On the JVC I couldn't find anything that specifically said it would work with it. So I'm leaning towards the Canon.
I know ppl tend to prefer the Sony's for skydiving... but for 1/3 less I would think Canon is a good choice (reputable maker at least!)... and I plan to make my own cover for the sucker so that's no issue. It does have a LANC port so should work w/ a CamEye. Its only .7M pixel but that don't bother me.
Anyone got the JVC or Canon? Had good/bad experiences with other *recent* similar models? I've never had a bad experience with a Canon product, and took my Rebel EOS on some quite vertical terrain snowboarding with no problem...
thanks,
dave

There have been several threads on this topic if you do a search.

Sony is the preferred brand for several reasons besides Lanc ports (and even some of those don't work with a CamEye). Durability is one of them.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

For the reasons you've stated yourself, you might have a fairly difficult time finding too many people with experience with these models.

All three manufacturers have strengths and weaknesses, but as you've already found most camera flyers prefer Sony for a number of reasons.

You may find a particular model from any manufacterer that could be an exception to the rule in either direction, however as you wander further from the path people have cleared for you and you blaze your own trail, you may stumble over a gopher hole or two.

I'm all for other people doing research into other manufacturerers -- you may find a fantasic camera that for some reason we've all overlooked. Just be aware that you're spending a lot of money for research!

One last note, the video and photography departments may share the floor of the store, but that doesn't mean they share the same engineers at the manufacturer. I seriously doubt that anyone associated with the design or manufacture of the Canon Rebel had anything to do with the Elura. I doubt they even share the same marketing department You shouldn't expect the same quality to cross an entire brand.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver