freeatlast

I've bought the camera and helmet what next??

B|

So I'm off to Rantoul and I have bought a sony PC101 and I've asked those nice people at Y2KCOMPOSITES.COM to produce a sexy camera helmet for me. I'm using a cam-eye 2 with that so what would you reccomend I should use as a lens with it ??? A wide angle .45 or .6 or something else ???

I hope you can help....

:)
I'm all crazy anyway !!

But seriously, I will work on the jumping first but I thought I would ask the question about the lens because it helps if I have an idea of what I will need.

I will get more jumps before trying and the camera would be fully enclosed in the helmet that I have in mind (virtually no bits sticking out !!!)

I will seek the advice of an instructor before I attempt jumping this helmet anyway ...
And only jump it once I have their approval ...

I guess I'm being a little eager and should wait before asking these questions but it was on my mind because someone had mentioned .6 and .45 and I wasn't sure what the terms related to.

Nice to see that someone reads the profiles though ....

James

In that case...

The lower the number (.45 being lower than .6 obviously) the wider the lens angle. At about .42 youre approaching fisheye and get some curvature.

Ive been playing with a .6 for tandem video and it works good. It gives me a little wider angle but not too wide. I can get in nice and close and not cut off either the student or the TM's head.

A lot of guys use .5, .45, or the .42 and do great work. Look at the videos of some of the guys at your DZ and ask what lens they use. Might help you decide.

Seriously tho, get at least another 100 jumps or more. The camera can complicate stuff in a hurry.

JC

If the Helmet is coming from 2KComp , then this is assuming you are a UK Jumper, C license is MIN. requirement to jump with a camera.

Even with an enclosed helmet having the lens protruding will give you additonal malfunctions that you may have to deal with.

I know about the C licence requirements in the Uk ... I will comply with them and wait until I meet the uk requirements when jumping in the uk or wherever.

As I said in my previous posting ... I will wait until I AND THE LOCAL CCI or equiv is happy before jumping this helmet ...

I have no intentions of breaking either BPA or USPA (or whichever) regs.

I'd just sit back and watch other jumpers at your DZ then, learn from them. Since the C is 200 jumps, your probally a full season off from jumping it. If you have a fully assembled helmet and camera laying around... the temption will get you shortly. I'd just leave the helmet boxed up till you are at about 190 jumps then look at it again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hey, Free. Get a multi-thousand jump mentor at your DZ. Buy them beer, kiss their butt, listen more than you talk. My mentor had me wait until the magical 200 mark and I'm glad she did. You will hear conflicting information about every item in camera jumping. Definitely get a cameye II. That Y2K helmet looks pretty cool, you'll have to review it in the gear section. I'm curious about the cutaway chin strap they're developing.

This forum is great for getting all the arguments about a subject, but nothing beats the advice of a veteran who cares about you.

Lens: You probably won't be able to get close enough to freeflyers for awhile to make use of any wide lens greater than a .5 . If you are shooting the inside of RW, a .3 - .45 is cool. If you're shooting others doing RW or other freeflyers at your jump numbers, a .5 is plenty.

Good luck! I love shooting video. I got some great stuff this last weekend when I visited Perris. Next week I'll take out the still camera.

JP