peedu

Emergency procedures with winged camera suit

Hi!
I don't jump the camera suit with wings. I use very baggy freefly type suit that is far bigger than the freefly suit usually. I use it mostly for 4way filming, tandems and FS training with very slow falling students.
I even have not bothered to find out if there are any different type of wing constructions for camera suit wings.
What I would like to know is the emergency procedures with wings. Different malfuncions (total/slow). Maybe it depends on suit construction?
I question came from the thought that if you have wings, that can not be released and they will remain inflated then the launch of reserve pilot chute might be delayed because of the burble.
Peedu

I believe everybody has seen how the spring loaded pilot chute on student rig stays in the burble for couple of seconds.
It happens even on Soviet D1-5U round canopies with a very huge spring loaded pilot chute - 3ft diameter.
And without any winged suit.
Peedu

Tere Peedu!
I'm a bit confused of what we're talkin' bout, but if you meant a normal camera suit, then heres some info:(I jump a great norwegian skydesign suit (http://www.sdcollection.no) with the biggest possible wings!!)
- Most common mal must be twists. Usually because of a turning opening position due to assymetrical wings (other wing more open)...What the twists result in, well, that's up to what canopy you have...
- I've never heard of somebody opening to slow...
- remember to keep your swoop cords on top of any gloves, unless your wings are as big as mine (half way down to the legs). They have cut aways at the bottom attachment point.
- BUT!! worst case scenario I've heard about is some dumbass picking the pilot BETWEEN the wing and the harness and dumping it. So the the bridle goes "thru" your suit...That might result in something not so ice...and then dumping the res in the mix? HUHH, no thanks...!!
Can't think of anything else, really...I think you'll fit into my suit, try it in Räyskälä at the Finnish Nationals
Se on moro vaan!
Tomppa

Terve, Tomppa!
This was actually not the answer to the main question I had.
Is it possible that reserve pilot chute gets into the burble if the wings of the camera suit are inflated? It might slow down the reserve opening. Are there any differences in emergency procedures to avoid it?
Peedu

>Is it possible that reserve pilot chute gets into the burble if the wings of the camera
>suit are inflated? It might slow down the reserve opening.
I guess anything is possible... If we assume that this indeed can be an issue, it depends on the rig you are wearing; some reserve pilot chutes have more powerful springs than others.
> Are there any differences in emergency procedures to avoid it?
I haven't jumped a winged _camera_ suit, but the Birdman flight manual doesn't mention anything about the burble. It tells you to execute the emergency procedures in the normal way.
If you just _must_ do something to prevent the PC from getting caught in the burble, you might want to pull your arms close to your body after pulling the handles, thus closing the wings.
CU at Parasummer,
Erno

Hi!
I don't jump a camara suit. I jump a camara jacket made by Tony suits. I can say that with a pull out and the wing jacket there is a VERY large burble. I am in the process of changing rigs and deployment systems because of the pilot chute getting caught in the burble. The rig change is because I wanted one not because I need one (could have just changed to a throw out). I don't know about the reserve getting caught in the burble as it gets a better launch.
Pendejo

< BUT!! worst case scenario I've heard about is some dumbass picking the pilot BETWEEN the wing and the harness and dumping it. So the the bridle goes "thru" your suit...That might result in something not so ice...and then dumping the res in the mix? HUHH, no thanks...!!>
I know that happened because I watched it happen. I don't like suits that have a gap between the wing and the body. He tosed it out a little and then it seemed to get sucked under his wing.
William

My emergency procedures are the same with or without the wings, and I have never had a problem with reserve deployment. That is not to say that it couldn't happen, but I don't consider it a major concern.
The biggest issue with the wings, that I see, is to be able to get them off quickly if you cannot reach your toggles, etc. That means to be sure to have the swoop cords on over anything else you might have on, gloves, altimeter, etc., so you can get them off easily if needed.
Blue ones,
Steve