Deuce

What do you do when your film camera fails?

The shutter release seems like the weakest link in the camera helmet. If it gets disconnected and all you have are the ground and airplane cabin shots, do you just charge for the video and throw the pictures in for free?

...in the past, I have offered to give the customer 3 '8x10' computer shots pulled off of the memory stick (if you have one) one of exit/freefall/landing and in addition a floppy disk with a roll of film worth of still captures from the stick. I printed the shots on good quality photo paper, and sent them the pictures. The few times I have done it, the customers where more than glad to play along, and even told me to keep the money for the stills... If possible I would get an e-mail addy' and send them that way also... The place I work at now has a little different personality so I dont know how well it would work at any given DZ... just a thought.....

First thing you do is try to avoid it from happening... but it does happen...
It all depends on what you think you got on the roll... did you get any in freefall? Or do you know for sure that you only got before and after shots...
If you may have gotten freefall shots, tell them that your camera may have malfunctioned during freefall so you are not sure what you got... tell them to call you if there are no freefall stuff and go from there...
If you know there are not freefall shots and they paid extra for the photos, give them the money back with what you did shoot and appologize... you could offer to shot another roll on the their next jump (because they are going to make another one, right?), but then you have that hanging out there...
at my dz, the stills are complimentary, so if the camera does not work, we technically do not owe them anything... for good PR we will offer to do the frame grab thing (those that have that capability) and e-mail them to the customer sometime the following week (when it has happened to me, I have gone overboard on the number of grabs I send them, and I will also clean them up in Photoshop)...
Not much else you can do... can't shit a roll of great pictures... if you pitch it right, they will go away happy and think they are getting something better (they can e-mail their friend w/o scanning yada, yada, yada)
Hope this helps
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

I agree with Josh. Just sell the vid. If you knew how many times I handed a customer a roll of film and they say "What are these?" or "Wow, I get pictures too? So like we said, sell the vid and give the pics as a comp. They really feel like they are getting something for free. Make everyone leave happy.
Bryan