Snowflake

TRV-xx vs PC-xx

I'm doing research on what kind of Camera I want to buy and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the PC series vs the TRV series. I'm looking at a PC 110 or the new 101 models or the TRV 30 model (I think the TRV 50 is replacing the 30). Is there a difference in quality or features that I'm missing? I Notice that most of the guys that shoot tandems and 4 way use a TRV style Camera is there a reason for this? I'm thinking I want to get a top mount because that way I can shoot everything (I'm not really sure what I'll be doing right now but it's a good bet I'll wanna shoot tandem). Any input would be greatly appreciated
"....and then the canopy opens and you float down to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"
JG
Rat# 27

the PC series are the small comact "verticle format" cameras... this, IMO, is what you want if you want to side mount your camera, it can also be top mounted if you want...
the TRV series is the traditional "horizontal format" that you would top mount (I would not try to side mount one, but I have heard of some people trying to)...
the TRV series will genneraly have a larger LCD screen, but you can find most if not all of the other features on a PC series (except 3CCD).
Unless you are going to side mount, it boils down to personal preference.
Peace.
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

I agree. The TRV is a little easier to use in that it is not so itty bitty and the screen is bigger. Plus, if you top mount a pc then it is mega tall because you would be wise to put some sort of a roll cage on it. Other than that, I use a trv 17 the other two videots use pc style, our videos are pretty much the same.
Drewfus McDoofus

just my two cents....
I have been jumping my bat rac with a TRV-11 on top of it...
I LOVE IT
but.... I am pulling it off and replacing it with an older PC-1
why?
why not.
I may jump it for a while and go back to the TRV-11... depends on how it 'feels'
one thing to remember...
ANY PC stlye box/camera setup can be top mounted if you so desire... try side mounting a TRV-30 to the side of a mindwarp, velocity, sidewinder, in-vertigo etc etc... the camera may be a little nicer, but its not as versatile. Its also heavier. The smaller PC style cam's have just about the same features as the bigger ones. I used to be a hard core TRV' style kinda guy... now all I want is as much camera as I need. A big full-feature super camera isnt any good if I only use 1/3 of what I paid for. The newer PC style cameras use the M-series batteries instead of the smaller S-series so battery life isnt a problem.... LCD screen size isnt really that big a deal because you are usually going to run the video through a cable onto a tv screen anyway... (I try to use my screen as LITTLE as possible) The only things I cant do with my PC-1 that I used on my TRV-11 are the "dot" fader function, night shot, and the memory stick. Everything else is just 'extra-stuff'
anyway... like I said, just my two cents
blue skies.....

Here is a copy of a post that went around about this subject a few months ago. Hope this helps.
Well I finally just went to Sony's website and got the info I was looking for. For those of you who are interested here are the differences between the PC-110 and the TRV-30:
PC-110 - Sidemount configuration
TRV-30 - Topmount configuration
PC-110 - 1.4" 1070K Image Sensor
TRV-30 - 1.4" 1550K Image Sensor
PC-110 - 520 Lines of horizontal resolution
TRV-30 - 530 Lines of horizontal resolution
PC-110 - 1152 x 864 Still image resolution
TRV-30 - 1360 x 1020 Still image resolution
PC-110 - 2.5" LCD screen
TRV-30 - 3.5" LCD screen
PC-110 - Just over 1.25 lbs
TRV-30 - Just under 1.5 lbs
And the TRV-30 has 14 Bit DXP (whatever that means)
Other then that the cameras offer all the same features. They both have the same editing features and special effects features. Not sure about battery times but I would suspect that the PC-110 has longer battery time because of its smaller LCD screen. Price wise the PC-110 is about $500 cheaper...at least in the case of my purchase vs. my friends purchase.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

"PC-110 - 520 Lines of horizontal resolution
TRV-30 - 530 Lines of horizontal resolution"
This is the important bit, and frankly its not that a big a difference between the two cams.....
Now then though, I thought the TRV series had better low level light performance that the PC series, larger lens....just a rumour mebbe....
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

You can buy a TRV30 cheaper than a PC-110. They are on to newer models though. The resolutions you list are for stills not video. TRV30 will produce a better picture no matter what numbers you look at, but they are both so good it might not make a difference to you.
William

Yes but it doesn't give the whole story on video quality. The only real way to find out is to take both cameras, shoot video in all kinds of situations and lighting conditions, and then compare the videos. On Sony's new models they list the number of pixels for video, but once again this is not an absolute indication of picture quality.
William

You can buy a TRV30 cheaper than a PC-110

My TRV-30 was just under $1700. Mrhixxx, who also posts here, bought his PC-110 for just under $1100. I am sure that you can find a TRV-30 for less then $1700, but I doubt you will beat the $1100 price that Mrhixxx paid for his.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

It is harder to find the TRV 30 as cheap anymore because Sony is no longer distributing it. The cheapest sellers ship straight from Sony. However just a quick search on yahoo shoping turned up a price of $1149 and I am sure better could be done with a little work.