faitor

Wide Angle Lense?

Sorry about being so vague. Basically I want to be flexible with this at first. However, I am leaning towards freefly photography since that is what I enjoy the most. I don’t plan to do any RW filming or anything at a great distance. Great being more than 15-20 yards away. I would like to be able to film friends while doing some head down / sit flying in groups.

Okay, I use a 0.3 which is great for close in shots, I got mine from Max Cohn at Generation Freefly, its a really nice lens and I have posted its praises here before...
However you might want to consider a .5, or a .42 if you anticipate being that far out on free flights.
I think Kenko do a nice one......Take your camera into a shop that sells the lenses and try it out to see if you are getting the framing you want, or better still try and borrow one from a camera flier at your DZ for a cople of jumps. Speaking to 'local' camera fliers is always a good idea anyway....
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

Nac, I've been meaning to ask, with such a low profile lens, did you have any probs with your camera mounting/position and catching too much of your face/goggles in frame?
...and Faitor, you profile shows only 60 jumps... a lot can be said about safety, patience, proficiency at what you video... not dictating my friend, just raising a flag.
Cheers,
CanEHdian

I jump a PC7 sidemounted on a Gath.
My goggles (the corner of them anyway) are in frame on the LCD, but they are outside the 'safe' area so don't show up on TV. If its a problem, I will just redrill my L bracket and shuffle the whole lot forward a bit.
I have quite a flexible side mount, not a D-box, more like a bag 'n bracket....Courtesy of Rolf at Empuriabrava in Spain.
Will be picking up a PC110 next time I see one in duty free, lets just hope it fits, or I'll be on the phone to Lisa for a new Hawkeye (Och aye?).....
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

you profile shows only 60 jumps

Sheesh....thats a little soon. My first camera jump was last weekend at jump 194 and it still makes me a little nervous at pull time. Of course, I remember last year when we had a genious from Brazil show up with 22 jumps, a camera, and wanted to jump with his girlfriends tandem. Talk about dead man walkin.......
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I'm thinking along the lines as CANehDIAN, you only have 60 jumps listed. If that's all the jumps you have, I'd reconsider for about 100 jumps. As is probably is right now, your flying abilities might equal....well never mind, but PLEASE think about what you're contemplating. Jumping a camera is another hazard in an already dangerous sport, and most of us have been at it awhile. BE PATIENT! Learn how to fly, and get out of trouble before you add another factor into skydiving. I'm sure you want to be around for a L O N G while and there really is NO need to push things. Things shall come to those who wait, and sometimes the wait is a good thing!

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the advice. It’s just I need to get my camera set up before I do my first Skysurf next weekend. It’s a celebration for jump number 70.;)
Ok, JK just being a smart ass. I don’t plan to do a camera jump for about another 100 jumps or so. I plan to have about 150 jumps by August (minimum). (WFFC for a few day of fun in the sun) I want to get up to speed by then. I am very concerned with safety and won’t make that first camera jump without continued consultation from you more experienced jumpers first. Thanks again for taking the time to share advice.