ramon

??How to mount still on round bonehead?

Assuming I get the mindwarp top mount....for my Canon EOS.
1. The top mount probably wont mate up to the helmet properly (typical bonehead).
2. my video camera (mounted) is probably not perfectly mated since the side of the helmet is not flat.
3. How am I going to get my still camera mounted on this mess and aimed the same as my video camera?
ramon

One of the guys at SD Atlanta just made an L bracket with "feet" on it. The top portion is an L bracket facing forwards for the camera to sit in. Extending off the bottom is a "leg" or "foot" on each side to attach the platform to the helmet. Put a mounting bolt underneath and some velcro to steady it and your good.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

What Josh said, also....A laser pen (lined up with the existing video view, blue tack, gaffers tape, etc helps) helps immensely, or put your helmet on some form of "dummy head" - no you can't have mine, I'm using it for work- and hook up a monitor to the video cam, then mess around with the still mount - with the SLR on it- till you are seeing the same pic. Then drill and fix etc...
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

thanks alot....cheap laser pointer...dummy head...good idea.
Hopefully the carbon top mount will fit and or fit after some heating so that it won't warp after I find the aim spot on the helmet and screw it down.
ramon

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the Stroboframe quick mount.
They're not cheap but they're really cool gadgets. I believe I showed you the one I have on top of my Half Rak for my still camera. (If not I'll have it with this weekend.)
If you don't go with a quick release of some sort then you can end up having to re-align the still camera each time you mount it.....not fun.
Have fun!
-Trey

Ummm. I used to have a little pin on my old still mount (which I made myself), which lined up with a recess on the tripod plate (the plate that carries the mounting thread boss) on the bottom of my EOS.
Check the base of your SLR, they are a common thing on decent SLRs. Alternatively you can 'jig' the camera on the mount by lining it up and fixing guides onto the camera mount.
So I had consistent mounting and alignment without the quick release plate you talk about. They are neat though....I know you Trey, you are just a big ole gear hound ;), and a lover of gadgets. A lot of the fun I've had over the years was actually making my own mounting systems, some worked well, others not so....But then again I'm an 'injunear', and like to fiddle with things. I even made my own 'cameye' about 18 months before they were comercially available....
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.