freeflir29

Panasonic results!

My new Panasonic PV-DC252D works awesome so far! Takes great stills and hasn't had any glitches in the operation so far. I thought it seemed really big when I first put it on my helmet but after putting 7 jumps on it this weekend I'm plenty used to it now. The only issue I have with it so far is when I put the 3 hour battery on it tends to interfere with me looking up at my canopy during deployment. With the smaller 1 hour battery there were no issues. I guess the only thing now is to see how it holds up to the stresses of skydiving over the long haul.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I'll try and post some pics of it tonight. It's nothing special really. I just made an "L" bracket with some padding. Taped all the edges and put a velcro strap around it to keep it straight and the LCD screen closed. Of course it is held down by a 1/4 inch bolt in the tripod mount.

OK...after a computer crash and much pain and toil.....I got everything working again and here's a pic of the set up. Just an L-Bracket for now. I want to build some kind of box for it to make it a little safer and more snag free to jump.

Well it doesn't look quite as scary as I thought it would. I still think it is way wide for a side mount though. You will be getting the occational riser strike for sure with that baby. Is there a reason you don't want to top mount it?
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|

Is there a reason you don't want to top mount it?

UUUUUmmmmmm...Top mounts make you look like a Teletubby.....:D I haven't had any problem at all with riser strikes so far. Actually putting a camera on has been great for my neck quite suprisingly. Now that I put my chin on my chest during deployment there is no strain. I even got whacked kinda hard last Sunday because I dumped without "stopping" my forward movement from a track and it didn't strain my neck at all. The only annoying thing is the 3 hour battery. With that big chunk on I have to try a little harder to look up. It gets in the way. So...I'm just going to buy an extra "Slim" 1 hour battery for jumping. The only way I can see having a riser strike is if I get lazy and don't put my chin down.

You will be getting the occational riser strike for sure with that baby.

And another thing to watch out for Clay is when you add your wide angle lens, it's going to stick out just a little farther. Wide angle lenses have a tendancy to snap off if they get struck.
Glad it's working out for you so far, but be careful! That little beauty is hanging way out there (in my opinion).
BTW, that's a mirror shot of you, right? So the camera is actually on your left side?
quade
http://futurecam.com

I had no problems in my first 5 jumps on my camera either.. Its the more jumps you add on it that increases the possibility of it happening as you start ignoring it more and more. I'll tell ya what... that first strike felt like my neck was broken from it. Your camera is further out there aways more then mine is ... just watch it. I'd hate to see that thing get sheared off.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

UUUUUmmmmmm...Top mounts make you look like a Teletubby

Once again, a skydiving fasion trend comes in one step ahead of safety and practicality. I'm not trying to rip on you, I just don't want to see you loose your new camera or worse yet, get hurt. Good luck to you.
-Dave
"Gas...Undercarriage...Mixture...Prop...Beer"
B|