mountainman

compressing DV footage for the web...

Hey folks. I am wondering what you have your Adobe Premiere 6 settings at so that you can compress/encode the DV footage to smaller QuickTime format. I would love to do it, but I cannot figure out how to do it. I keep making it, but it takes an hour and is like 500MB or so.
Please, if you can make the time, give me a pretty good instruction list. Would be good for future inquiries too.
Thanks!! :)(You can see the video I did make HERE. The video is in WMP format, 2 minutes, and like 9.x MB. Too big.
Thanks!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

hey CameraMonkey......here is what I did first: File-->Export timeline-->Movie-->
Then, you get to the part where you choose settings and so forth. These are the settings I'm not sure how to use (since I don't know what they all mean). I am wondering how you would set them up to give back the best quality without making the file too big. The movie, video, sound, etc parts are what I'm talking about.
Thanks!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Hey Quade...you are correct. I forgot that it was 3 some minutes long. That isn't too terribley bad. I guess I really would like it in QuickTime format eventually, but I can't those files very small (as in under 200MB). I just dont know what settings to use in Premiere.
I just need to get a PowerBook G4. :)JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

I have done some searching - i cannot seem to find where yo get the instructions for turning a video into Windows Media.

I downloaded he manager and the codecs but i need to understand the process.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an eight min. video that I want to put on Skydivingmovies.com, but I'm not sure how.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Go to videohelp.com or doom9.org.
All i know about video compression is from links\guides on these sites. If you want decent quicktimes, use sorenson 3 as compressor, then set the keyframes and datarate as high(keyframes)/low(datarate) as possible for your desired quality. QT sound compressors suck thought, they don't make a big difference (to my ears)...
Big helper: Crop/half size video.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

The quickest way to create a WMV file. Premiere can do it much faster than creating Quicktime MOV files (at least on my system).

Export Timeline>Advanced Windows Media>Video for broadband NTSC (256 Kbps)

Plus you can select a higher Kbps value if you want a higher quality (but larger) file.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Thanks - I just finished(sunday) getting everything set up at the DZ for broadband, so now I can DL the video strait from there. Maybe if the weather is bad tomorrow, I'll have time to fix it a little and try that.

Thanks.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun