flahive

Bat-Rak or Flat Top

I am trying to find out what you guys think about these helmets. I mainly shoot students (video and stills), and am ready to get a better camera helmet (i've been using my mindwarp w/ side mount and top plate). I'm sure the Flat-top is the better camera helmet, but most of my jumps are out of cessnas (182/206) and I am afraid it would be too bulky in a little plane.

I use a batrack with the trv 17 and the rebel mounted side by side on the top plate and it works for me great. I have a d-box for the vid and a velbon quick release for the still, works perfect. We are a cesna dz as well. The other camera guy runs the same set up but with a PC with a roll cage. The third of our camera people uses the same sort of set up as you describe but with one of skydance's compact camera's front mounted. One of the tandem masters also shoots some video and uses a flat top pro, he's never mentioned feeling cramped with it.
My concern was the price, I got my bat rack used for $250. The flat top pro is something like $650 new. Plus, you end up with a camera platform that is angled at something like 15 degree instead of flat. I don't have a ton of experience freefly filming but wonder if the angle wouldn't be a hassle.
Brain and I both love our batrak setups.
Hope that helps
Drewfus McDoofus

Just a correction, the flat top does not have a 15 degree slope - it's basically at zero just like the rack - unless Bonehead was lying to me when I bought mine. I know one of the Headhunter full face cam helmets has a 15 degree slope, maybe that's what you are thinking about? I just got mine and only have a few jumps on it (also out of a Cessna) but I really don't forsee any space issues. I love mine - worth every penny (and in Canadian dollars it's pushing a grand!!)
Canuck

I have been jumping a Flat-top for several years now. I have bben able to mount as many as 2 video cameras and a still on it no problem.
Many of my jumps are out of C-182 and there is no problem with space. When climbing out keep your head low .
Danger

I have never jumped a Bat-Rack, but I do have a flat top, and most of my jumps are out of a cessna 182. I have no problem with the climbout or exit, just stay low and be aware of your camera. As far as angle, it is right on, there is no angle. Either way as long as you set your eye sight correctly you will get the shot you want.
I feel that either helmet will suit your needs and both will do well. I have had nothing but good results from the bonehead products.
Good luck and Blue Skies...
Max

The batrack isn't being made anymore, making room for the Optik in Bonehead's arsenal.
I use a flattop and love it. I think for serious camera people, it's the best on the market.
Getting out of a little plane isn't going to be any more of a problem with the flattop than with the batrack. I've jumped cessnas with this helmet, and it really wasn't an issue.
Just my opinion.
Steve

I was wondering if it was really discontinued. Someone at tso-d told me it was. And he could not get anymore. Then I thought, well maybe Para-Gear will cut a deal. But when I called them, they said only the 1/2 Rak was being cut, and they could still get Batrak. I am wondering which is true?
Malachi