airdrew20012001

Am I the only one who has to spot?

Just more of a poll than anything else. At the DZ I work at I have to spot the load when flying camera since we are an itty bitty cesna DZ, anybody else in the same boat? As a second questions, anybody ever fall out while getting out on the strut? I haven't yet but assume I will and want to be able to either say "I am a big fat idiot" or "it happens all the time"
Drewfus McDoofus

At my home DZ, we fly 182's. When I'm flying camera, it's usually just me and the tandem pair in the plane, so I'm the one spotting. If there is a fourth jumper, I have them get out first. Unless I know that person to be a good spotter, I usually still spot the load. I have never fallen off the strut, though there have been several times I thought I was going to get ripped off the strut when we've had new pilots that don't know how to cut before exit.

Are u the only one who has to spot?
- what the h*ll? I sincerely hope you spot, and everybody else for that matter.....
First time you end up outside the area where you planned to land, and didn't spot - blame your self. You just have to have that much confidence (and eyesight fo that matter) in yourself that you can spot your self....
Well we all now there are guys out there who just jump...without any idea of where they are going.....

Being that I am also at a Cessna dropzone, I find myself always spotting on tandem loads. This shouldn't be a problem for anyone. If you have the experience to film tandems, you should also have the experience to properly spot a load.
If there are others on the load, I will let them spot, but before I get out I will double check the spot. About 25% of the time I will have to adjust the spot or request a go around.
As for falling off the strut, I don't use that exit. I hang off the rear of the door.
Danger

As for falling off the strut, I don't use that exit. I hang off the rear of the door.
Ditto above, its also qute common in the UK to see a little block of wood gaffer taped to the top of the fuselage which helps a lot. Obviously a real handle is preferred.
On teh spotting issue, agreed with earlier posts in this thread, very common for the camera flyer to spot tandem loads especially on Cessna loads...
Cya
D