airdrew20012001

Stilletto as camera canpoy

It depends on who you ask. And what you can get used to. Most people (with relativly low jump numbers) think that the canopy that they fly is the best, and consitently try to get others to get under the canopy they are flying. I have about 40 jumps under a stilleto and I would say that jumping a camera would be fine. For me, the canopy opened briskly...not to hard but you definantly knew that it was going to open fairly quickly. For more than 150 camera jumps I have been jumping varying sizes of cobalts...they rock! The openings are snivelly and soft. I started on a 150 and have moved down to a 135. I'm about 225 out the door and my first canopy was a triathalon 175. The openings on my cobalt are awesome...I suggest you demo one...oh yeah I can surf my cobalt much further than I was able to surf a stilleto. Not saying they are better, that is just my personal expierience!
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

Did'nt realize that you already had a stilleto...sorry about the shameless plug. The main reason that I did not like the stilleto is that I psycho pack and out of my three jumps with a stilleto psycho-packed two resulted in line twists(probably just my packing but who knows).
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

I have been told that Stilletto's are terrible canopies for flying camera, any thoughts on this?

It's not -just- the softness of the opening that should concern you. Stilletto's kind of have this reputation for spinning up if you get line twists and needing to be chopped.
Since a couple of camera flyers went in last year as a result of getting snagged during their cutaway sequence, you might want to think about canopies that have a reputation for not needing to be chopped quite so often.
quade
http://futurecam.com

Hey airdrew,
I have to disagree with the last few posters here about Stilettos and camera.
I have about 600 on stilettos - 150, 135, 120 and 107 - with 500 of those being with a vid/stills setup. Each opening has been soft, and very easy on the neck. I had had two linetwist openings in that time, none resulting in a cutaway. And its fun to swoop.
Remember though - maintain your gear. If you get consistent offheading or linetwist openings, get a reline. Same for any canopy. If youre coming from a square 160, remember that body position is very important during deployment.
I couldnt recommend it more as a canopy, particularly for camera.

I've got about 1200 video jumps on 120's and 135's with an exit weight of 220. only had 1 chop..packer didn't stow one brake line. Stilleto is a great canopy for video, it's not the best, but it does everything very good. Good swoops, good openings, and they don't need any special pack jobs. Jump the stilleto untill it bores you then check out a crossfire or a VX. As for spinning up...any fast canopy is going to do that, know your cutaway procedures and go have fun!

imho the best canopy for camera fliers is the canopy that you are most comfortable under, whether that's a lightly loaded seven cell or a heavily loaded cross braced pocket rocket. By comfortable I mean confident in your ability to handle whatever happens or could happen - hard openings, line twists, spinning mals, downwind landings, traffic on final, whatever.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

I had very good experience with my Stiletto, and know people who have thousands of camera jumps on them. I had a couple of hard openings, but nothing devistating. More importantly, they were very few and far between. On the other hand, though, I have had one brisk opening on my Crossfires in 750 jumps...it wasn't even something that I could consider "hard".
I wouldn't recommend against the Stiletto as far as for someone jumping with a camera vs. without. The main consideration is if you are ready for the canopy itsself, and if you have the experience to be jumping a new higher performance canopy anyway, and then add on the complication of wearing a camera. If you know you are ready, have at it.
Just my opinion.
Steve