sky301

Bonehead Optik vs Hawkeye LT

Since I didn't get any responses on a previous post, perhaps I could get some feedback regarding these two helmets. As I search for the ideal new helmet for me, these 2 are now my candidates, It looks like the Optik comes with a ratchet style chincup? and the Hawkeye its a $50 option. therefore it looks like the optik is about $50 dollars less with the same options, ( both side and top mount) is the hawkeye worth the extra money? Is there more I should be concerned with? Also what do people recommend for brackets (side mount). I look forward to some replies or insight, previous experience.
thanks

Brackets are cool if you need to be constantly accessing the camera (tandem videos, 4way debriefings, etc) but if you will just be reviewing the footage every few jumps, or can get the remote to work through it, get a box. The Carbon fiber Bonehead boxes are top of the line and really protect the camera.
As for the helmets, one of them is designed more for a rounded face and the other is a more oval face, i forget what is what at the moment though.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

I absolutely love the Bonehead product and service. No, they don't cut me a deal for saying so either! (Hey, what's up with that Jeanie?)
I prefer to top mount all my stuff, so I've never really looked at either the Optic or the Hawkeye.
Anyway, I doubt that you could go wrong with the Bonehead product. You'll love the service.
http://futurecam.com

whats the pros & cons of top mounting a video camera vs. side mounting?

It really depends on a couple of factors, but basically;
What kind of camera do you have?
What kind of camera flying are you planning on doing?
How do you want your head twisted during a hard opening?
How do you feel about riser strikes on your equipment?
How do you feel about the possibilities of something getting snagged on a cutaway?
What looks cool? (seriously!)
Anyway, -think- about all of this stuff as it may pertain to the helmet you're planning. Also, think about the future. It would be a serious drag to get a nice side mount for a PC type camera and then discover you have a jones for a VX 2000 later on. Anyway, think about your design before just buying stuff.
(I wrote all this stuff out somewhere else on this forum when I had a bit more time to kill.)
quade

ratchet style chincup? and the Hawkeye its a $50 option.

Actually the ratchet chincup is $40 extra when ordered with the Hawkeye.
I've dealt with both manufacturers through my job; don't think you can go wrong with either one. Excellent customer service and an excellent product from both. I would highly recommend trying on both before buying; as phree said different helmets seem to fit better on differently shaped faces, and sizing on either one can be tough if you haven't already tried some on.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
Life is tough, but I'm tougher

BUY THE OPTIC! ENOUGH SAID
the optic has a 'riser block' molded into the helmet... it dont look like much, but it is just enough to richochet a riser away from the camera...
the chin cup is better....
the quick release on the optic is on the chin cup, the quick releases on the hawkeye are on the helmet. You can escape from the optic with one hand, in one smooth motion....
the material used in the optic is more durable than the hawkeye...
there is a reason the hawkeye is cheaper......

I've got the optic and I love it. I tried on a hawkeye but I didnt like the soft forehead. It didnt fit snug to the front of my head. I did notice something interesting on my Optik though. Try taking out the padding and look at the helmet with a bright light source behind it. There are numerous small holes in the carbon fibre covered by a clear coat (maybe it's just mine, but.....). You wont see them unless you look with light behind it. No biggie, just kinda interesting.
Go with the Optik... it rocks.....

What kind of camera do you have?

prolly a pc-9

What kind of camera flying are you planning on doing?
quote]
mainly freefly jumps, maybe tandems in the future
***How do you feel about the possibilities of something getting snagged on a cutaway?

thats wut i was afraid of, which mount is less likely for something to get snagged on?
"The longer you freefly - The longer your beard is":S

thats wut i was afraid of, which mount is less likely for something to get snagged on?

It's generally considered that top mounts are less prone to snags and riser strikes.
Next time you're at the DZ, take a look at the various mounts that people have and imagine the proximity of each to risers during deployments. Imagine yourself in a spinning mal -- turning and twisting -- and what the risers might do if you had to cutaway under those conditions.
That's not to say that top mounts are snag proof, it's just that the helmet itself provides a bit of protection in keeping the risers separated from the camera.
quade