Ron

Visualizing the dive

You always need a plan. This is the one I use, you can take it and modify it so it works for you.

1. Memorize the sequence. Before we walk and creep, I run the dive through my head thinking just about the names/numbers and letters with not paying attention to how I am going to do anything.

2. I visualize the formations as they will appear on video, picturing me making the moves perfectly. This is difficult at first.... but keep at it, it gets easier as time goes by; I now can picture peoples jumpsuits flapping and the sun reflecting off of helmets and three rings.

3. I think about HOW I am going to make those stellar moves.... Which knee, what type of flash, who keys it...ect.

4. I visualize the dive from my slot thinking about the inputs/keys/flashing three or four times only. I figure this is planting a seed and no need to focus too much on it.

5. Before exit, I run it backwards ending up with just letters and numbers.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Visualizing is key! Absolutely essential! Memorizing the points of the dive to the point that you instinctively go to the next point on the key frees you to focus on anticipating, starting, making, and stopping the move.

One small thing is when visualizing your slot, don't neglect the exit! I usually run through exit+4 or so pages 3-4 times while in the plane.

VISUALIZE!
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Hey Ron,

I do pretty much the same thing, the only other point I would add is that when I'm at the door and ready to exit, I take a deep breath and just relax. This helps me to overcome the urge to go over the line and just do the skydive to the best of my ability.

Michael

2. I visualize the formations as they will appear on video, picturing me making the moves perfectly. This is difficult at first.... but keep at it, it gets easier as time goes by; I now can picture peoples jumpsuits flapping and the sun reflecting off of helmets and three rings.

that's the one that does it for me.

I'm normally a center person, and if I can't see what EVERYBODY is supposed to do, I am not doing my job in terms of flying for the whole team, not just my individual move. I need to feel the whole team in play. This visualization helps give you a 'court sense' to pull a term from another sport

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Gymnasts use this technique because (physically) you can only do so many routines in a day. As a gymnast, I use to do 3 more routines on every event, in my head, before I would go to sleep at night.

Also, try doing “what if's"... what if this or that were to happen?? I'd visualize what I'd do if certain problems/scenarios would occur. Visualizing various scenarios in your head makes it much easier to handle the "shit" when it hits the fan. This is a great technique practicing emergency situations.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Also, try doing “what if's"... what if this or that were to happen?? I'd visualize what I'd do if certain problems/scenarios would occur.

I'm glad that worked for you. And agree visualizing responding to various emergency situations is a good idea.

just in case somebody read your post wrong, I'll throw this in below.

I, personally, do not recommend visualizing what could go wrong during the dive itself (think the freefall portion or a comp dive). Visualizing the wrong things trains those wrong things. Visualizing the dive going perfect, over and over, is usually recommended.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Also, try doing “what if's"... what if this or that were to happen?

To echo what Rehm said -

There's no problem having backup plans. But the best thing to visualize is the dive going perfectly - what you will see, where you will be, what your body will be doing. Don't visualize problems during the dive, because the last thing you need is practice doing the wrong thing.