tetra316

Canopy choice for big ways

Whichever one i felt more comfortable and confident on, and had the most consistent openings.

doesn't really matter *what* the canopies are. The above criteria are what i would use.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

> If you had the choice between a Katana 120 and a Crossfire 2 119
>which would you choose to use and why?

Neither seems great to me. I'd jump them both and see which opened on heading more reliably. I greatly prefer my Nitro 108 over my Crossfire 109 for bigways due to its opening characteristics.

Never jumped a crossfire but have heard the openings are pretty good .
I jump a Katana and a Velo , but wouldnt use either for 50way+ formations .

I borrowed a clapped out bluetrac 140 for Perris 100ways . Opens in 400feet , on heading every time and better glide angle than a 7cell .
Flys like shit but bigways are not about having fun with your canopy !

The previous owner of my velo has 10,000+ jumps and used a reserve for a main for World team

btw it was raining katanas and velocitys in Perris last May . I brought in one cutaway katana that landed near me , dropped it in packing tent and said ANYONE LOOSE A KATANA ? Somebody ran over picked it up and said "ah no . not mine . the one i cutaway was black" :D

So...uh...anyone have a canopy I can borrow for two weekends then:P

I think you missed the point :P

by all means, borrow a canopy if you aren't confident in your ability on either of the ones you own, or if you aren't confident in their openings being consistent.

But if you do borrow a canopy, make sure you know how to fly it and that you can be 100% confident in your abilities and openings on that canopy.

Seems to me that the ones you're used to are the better choice, but I could be wrong... ;)
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Canopies I have used for very big stuff -

300 way - borrowed Spectre 150
357 way - brand new Pilot 140 (second jump was at the event!)
400 way - Pilot 150 from my wingsuit rig

All worked well. The lower speed in brakes, the lower speed in the pattern and the better downwind capabilities were all nice to have.

I usually jump a Katana 107, but the headings on opening are all over the place. I bought a Pilot 117 specifically for big ways. It usually opens on-heading within 5-10 degrees, and only once has turned as much as 90. I also tried a Nitron for a while, and also found the openings to be not quite predictable enough. I don't have any Crossfire experience.