shibbayshib

Big Way jumps for a c182 dz

I'm a relatively new jumper who is totally addicted to larger formations. I had the pleasure of being able to jump with my dad in the Mark and Darryld big ways in august and I was totally hooked.
Granted, because of my low jump numbers (42 at the time) and that I hadn't known (or jumped with) either Mark or Darryld before hand, I was in the base. I still got that feeling of total teamwork which I miss since I quit college football.
Besides just working on being a better flier in general, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what to work on specifically for larger formations? Thanks

Jason

Watch out for the big banana.

It is hard to make suggestions without knowing your current skill set but possibly your Dad would be a good starting point.

However I will make one important suggestion. Learn how to track well. At breakoff seperation is a life saving skill. Don't depend on the other guy.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I thought this was going to be a thread about doing a 5 way, which, at a 182 dz is a big way:D.

If they're midgets... :P

I've done 8 ways out of two C182s. Those are fun.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jason,

Congratulations on doing big-ways with 42 jumps! Evidently you proved you had sufficient skills to have been invited.

If you jump at Perris, you'll have no trouble learning big-way flying. Even then you should attend one of their big-way camps to learn things like dive floating, approach angles, and all kinds of things to keep you and your big-way friends safe. Even if you never do anything but fly in the base (a very important position, by the way), you will need to step outside your comfort zone and a Kate Cooper big-way camp will let you do just that, but in a no-fault environment.

Blue Skies!
Ed Lightle B|

I have always thought that it was funny how "big way" is a relative word.

Yeah, very subjective... To me, a big way is anything from 30 ways and up, or requires turbine formation loads (2 or more planes).

Even then, sometimes the C-182 formation loads can be more fun! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you jump at Perris, you'll have no trouble learning big-way flying. Even then you should attend one of their big-way camps to learn things like dive floating, approach angles, and all kinds of things to keep you and your big-way friends safe. Even if you never do anything but fly in the base (a very important position, by the way), you will need to step outside your comfort zone and a Kate Cooper big-way camp will let you do just that, but in a no-fault environment.

I might add that Perris has also been offering a monthly "midway" project one Sunday a month, for up to 45 people from two aircraft. These loads are organized by Mark Brown and Darryld Light and are aimed at introducing average skydivers to the concepts of safe bigway flying. Along with a lot of local and visiting fun jumpers, we often get participation and guidance from "guests" like Dan BC, Carey Peck, and several of the JFTC women, all veterans of past and present world record bigways. We commit to five jumps and pay an additional $5 apiece to hire a camera for the day. Sometimes we get to use the Skyvan for the base, other days we use two Otters. It's a VERY fun and low pressure group and the only thing we're absolutely merciless about is the safety rules.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !