kittikat

Basic RW coaching aids

Hi everyone -

I am looking for some information / books / videos on basic RW skills. My friend and I just spent a couple weekends at a small DZ (not our home DZ) doing all CSPA coach 2 jumps with people - this DZ previously had very little coaching available, so there were quite a few people with 60-250 jumps that had no licenses or ratings, and had largely been doing solos filling the plane. This DZ is under new management, and we were asked to come out and help all these people get their A and B licenses (Coach 2 rating allows you to teach the basic RW skills and sign them off for 2-way endorsement for the A licenses and group RW for the B license).

Now that we have completed the coaching requirements for the licenses I don't want all these people to go back to doing solos or cluster f**ks. I really want them to continue to build on the skills we taught and challenge themselves to become better, more controlled, safer skydivers. My friend and I will be returning hopefully soon to work on some basic 4-way skills, but until then I am hoping to find some information I can pass on to them so that they can continue to learn. I am hoping to keep them motivated to do RW.

I am looking to find videos or books etc. to pass on that cover basic 2-way skills to mid-level 4-way skills. I will be sending them copies of the random dive pool, and giving them this web-site as well as FastTrax - what other resources are out there? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thank you for your help!!!

So, are we to believe that this DZ is not a CSPA member dropzone? Or are you educating them in the USPA license?

Just curious, as it seems very interesting that there are people out there with "250 jumps" that haven't tried to research this and get their license (from any licensing body).

I know there are non-member DZ's, and if they choose to run this way, why is a license needed to do RW there? (playing devil's advocate here).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

They are obtaining CSPA licenses; some came from a CAPS DZ that is no longer operating as under CAPS, so those with over 150 jumps all have CAPS licenses of some sort I believe. The others were just unfortunate enough to start at a DZ that did not really work with up and coming jumpers, so they ended up doing a lot of solos and or zoo dives that they legally should not haved been on. The former management didn't really seem to care I guess - I'm not sure, I wasn't around for that. Now that a friend of mine has bought the DZ they are pushing for everyone to get their licenses.

Unfortunately they don't have many C2's at the DZ (I think for a long time the only C2 on the DZ was also the only tandem master, so it was nearly impossible for anyone to get coach jumps in), so we came down do help out and had a great time doing it. All the jumpers were incredibly eager to learn and really great people to coach.

If no one required you to have any license, and you can't get coaching then it makes sense why none of these people tried to obtain licenses of any sort.

Hi, Kittikat.

I wrote a couple articles for Parachutist magazine that might suit your needs. One was titled "Hands Off!" and deals with no-contact 2-way drills. The other was titled "The ABCs of 4-Way". I'm attaching PDF's of my original submissions so you don't have to order them from Parachutist B|.

Blue Skies!
Ed Lightle

In "The Right Wally"

or was it "The Wally Stuff"....?

he used a 4-way aid bungie device

that should do it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants