Taikoen

RW Coaching in Texas

I'm looking for someone in the central or north parts of Texas to help me work on my RW skills. I've got 48 jumps, about 10 of those hop and pops, 10 solos, and the rest AFF or SDU coaching. My goal is to find someone experienced and skilled enough to bring me into the RW world through planning, dirt diving, being a good free fall base, and debriefing my free fall fall skill progression. I live in Dallas but don't want to confine myself to the hour drive to Skydive Dallas if I can find a great coach in the region. I know there are several good drop zones in Central Texas extending down through Houston (probably as far south and east as I'd like to go). I'm available only on the weekends and am willing to do all the planning, drilling, dirt diving, and jumping it takes to get a good RW skill set. I'm posting here so I don't end up asking every one I see at Skydive Dallas if they have free time and because a suggestion to find some other jumpers with low numbers interested in RW for the Texas Skydiving Rookie league was made to me. So if there's any one else with low jump numbers interested in RW in this area, get back to me as well. At this point, I can fall, but it's not pretty and I don't have the control I want. However, I am dedicated and have a good awareness of what's going on around me and how to correct it; I just lack the skills to execute all of the movements.

John

How about hiring a coach at Skydive Dallas? From my experience they have great folks there.

Isn't Ron out there in Dallas?

If he is he would be the man to go to, tons of RW experience, nice guy too.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

How about hiring a coach at Skydive Dallas? From my experience they have great folks there.

Isn't Ron out there in Dallas?

If he is he would be the man to go to, tons of RW experience, nice guy too.

Ron (DZ.com name) is a HELL of a coach - we had him for a tunnel camp and he was very popular. I still have people asking for him when I set up the yearly camp.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I did coaching jumps through my A license, and yes, the are great. However, even with my own gear and doing my own pack jobs, the jumps are still $80. If a coach came down to a matter of finances, I'd rather pay for someone else's jump ticket and pack job and save about $50 a jump.

I'll have Ernie or Brett (I did a jump with him) point them out. I talked to a guy named Ron for about ten seconds. I was going over a dive in my head and he gave me a ten second coaching lesson on how to efficiently make a turn (spilling air as he called it). Not sure if it was the same guy. I'll have to start taking people's pictures and attaching a name and jump information for future reference :P

Tom Schroder is really the guy you want to get with. He will organize the jumps. That is his role there. He can also answer any of your questions. He has been jumping for a long time, 30 years I think.

You probably were talking to The Ron of dropzone.com

I didn't see Ron Ship around Sun.

lol ...

Actually, I was telling him that everything YOU say is wrong ;););););)

Seriously, Tom is a fantastic person, but for someone who has 40 skydives, I would not recommend trying to get on Tom's organized loads (unless it is a 2-way with Tom).
Making a bunch of 2-ways with experienced person is a much better way to improve your skills.

In addition, I strongly recommend getting some tunnel time.