jumper03

Do Yuan do it?

On the Yuan (D) - does the inside center have to take the inner grip of the outside leg of the point? Or can the IC take the same grip as the OC in the compressed accordian?

It seems evertime we come to this point I (the IC) find the grip the OC has right there but the inside grip on that oustide leg is tough to get to.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Outside leg. It does not matter if you take the inside or outside gripper, or any legal grip on that leg. However, the inside gripper of outside leg seems to be the easier grip.

This is NOT the same leg that is involved in the compressed accordian between the Point Flyer and Outside Center.

Alex

the inside grip on that oustide leg is tough to get to.

You have to take that outside leg. As such the insider gripper is usually easier to take.

Your point has to bring his legs smoothly into the center of the formation. It's normal for them to not do that as they are trying to:
1 - look inwards over their shoulder
2 - tend to point their heads at the OCs leg in the comp grip which pushes their legs out

the grip can also seem a long ways away if:
1 - the IC is crowding the center too much (IC and Tail simply have half a donut - it's a big formation, give the point room to bring his knees past you so the outside leg gets where it needs to be)
2 - the point has their legs spread wide (if a jumper is uncomfortable, like in an outfacing formation, they sometimes lose good body position and spread out.)

The comp grip between the OC hand and point leg needs to be right near the center of the 4-way - the point needs to relax and trust and look 'up' and over at the tail not around his shoulder at the tail.

I bet you have a hard time reaching his leg on murfy flake too?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

no trouble on the murphy flake. weird.

and my team mates are all she's - I'm the luckiest guy in raeford. ;)

Anton is right, pictures would be nice then. Do you have any stills of your D (Yuan)?

Critical pics -
1 - team pic from the beach so we can confirm you are the "luckiest guy in Raeford"
2 - pic of the D to see how it's built and general body positions

A pic is worth a ton. Video even more. Is it possible that Skyleague will post one of your dives with the D?

Edit: in the end, the grip is either too far away (for various reasons) or awkward to reach (for various reasons) - a pic can help debug it. And it could be coming from any teammate for lots of reasons. The 4 way has to fly it right. And some of the guys here are really good at debugging why if you can give them a visual.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've got pics at home. I'll post them later.

I do have video but its on dvd. CaSL is now putting all the meet jumps on a dvd for the teams at the end of the meet - or at least they did at raeford courtesy of Tony Thacker.

If I can figure out how to rip a file off of a dvd, I'll upload it somewhere later.

Edit: Found the pics here!
First - yeah - I'm the ugly lucky one! :P

second - this was the only still I could find of the yuan from the meet. I'll see if I can grab a few frames from the video (we're all f'd up in this one)

third - I just put that up because I really like that pic. :)

it's trying to be a yuan......

... if a person at 1'o'clock (point I assume) makes a 90 to compressed picture (with OC).

It's difficult to take the grips when people are sliding around. Think about getting there first, building a right picture and STOPping - the grips will be there waiting for you.

It's not a Yuan on "Yuan" picture

it's trying to be a yuan]

I could also easily be trying to be a donut or a meeker...

Well - I think we found your problem.:P

As you've already figured out - Take her right leg grip, not the left leg grip.

Either your point isn't bringing her legs to the center, or you were catching the wrong leg and not letting her come in. Doesn't matter which, just fix it.

The other three of you are really nicely positioned, BTW. The OC is perfect, the tail piece has a nice half donut picture. The IC (other than holding onto the wrong leg ;)) does leave a door for the point to enter the center.

Let her in, and make sure she thinks about placing her body in that spot, sometimes if she thinks about focusing more on making sure her knee hits the comp acc rather than 'getting' her grip in the comp acc with the OC will help both grips come together better.

good luck

pic below - you'd be the guy with the maroon grippers, your point would be the guy in blue - ignore our bad body positions, we had a weight balancing issue and this is from 2 years ago.

... if a person at 1'o'clock (point I assume) makes a 90 to compressed picture (with OC).

Check again, the woman in blue is the point. the person at 1 o'clock is the OC. (your read is potentially right also, but the IC is wearing a t-shirt - our poster. And more than just turning the 1 o'c person is needed to make that a D)

but other than that, you are right, the person in blue needs to make a compressed with teh person at 1. The guy (:P sorry man) in the t-shirt isn't letting her though with that grip.

Check again, the woman in blue is the point. the person at 1 o'clock is the OC. (your read is potentially right also, but the IC is wearing a t-shirt - our poster)

but other than that, you are right, the person in blue needs to make a compressed with teh person at 1. The guy (:P sorry man) in the t-shirt isn't letting her though with that grip.

correct. blue is our point.

we'll get it!

Your profile says that your home DZ is Eloy. You shouldn't have problems with getting some excellent coaching at DZ - always a good idea;)

Edit to add ... never mind, the team pictures don't look like Eloy but still working with a coach would help tremendously.

We banished the professor back to Carolina, he was sick of us all anyway.

What up Steven!!!!

yeah - leaving Eloy was one of the worst decisions I've made - but when life gives you lemons - you make lemonade! So now I'm doing 4 way with three cute skygirls.

Nothing like being grabbed by girls all day at the DZ.
:P

So, you may be the luckiest guy at Chester this weekend then, hmmmm?

It will be great to see you all and we can help you with the engineering when you get the dives on Friday night/Saturday morning :P

See ya in SC :)

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

So, you may be the luckiest guy at Chester this weekend then, hmmmm?

It will be great to see you all and we can help you with the engineering when you get the dives on Friday night/Saturday morning :P

See ya in SC :)

yes - once again I will be the luckiest guy in raeford - just in Chester this time.

See you there!

:)

One common problem with the outfacing flier stems from the creeping bit prior to the dive - there is a tendency when facing out for the flier to lift shoulder and twist the spine to see more of what is going on in the centre or keep eye contact.

This results in a false picture from the dirt dive of what the outfacer will be able to see and you need to train this tendency out. Accept that from some outfacing slots (like the Yuan and M Flake) your point fliers vision will be limited and you will get a much better shaped formation.

Blue skies! B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

It's a good point. It's really hard to look "up and over" instead of 'around'. When you look around, that twists a body and pulls the legs out. For many (owls and lizards and some really good point flyers don't have this) you just have to trust your teammates a bit and learn to fly still and take what you can from the peripheral view.

Get used to flying without being able to turn your head enough to make eye contact with the tail(if you're on point) find other references in the picture that you can use. Like when I'm at the top of a 14 I can't see the IC's eyes, but I know what the rest of the picture should look like so I just go off of that. Some people do have the ability to turn their head 180 degrees, like Craigh Girard, but for the rest of us mortals, and I know me personally my neck ain't that flexible. 2 way drills are an awesome way to train for outfacing slots, that's how I got comfortable doing them, and now I love outfacing because I know its almost always followed by a big move back to the center, and I luv them big moves;)
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

It seems that your team figured out the Yuan thing then, eh?
Congrats on your first place in the I class this weekend!

Way to go at Chester, Luckiest man in Raeford ;)

See you at CSS then? B|

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach