jumper03

any word from South Africa?

Maybe we will have the video upload thing in place next year - that would be cool.

In FS the current national team won as expected with a personal best (I think) of 160 over 10 rounds. They really wanted a 16 average an weere very pleased with the result. In second place was a team that included a few members of previous national team and had a wealth of skill and experience that saw them through even though they really only got together for the meet and did not train at all. In third place was my team called dPhi with a 10 something average over 10 rounds. Our last jump was just before the awards ceremony so I'm not sure about the exact scores. There were 7 teams in the Open event. My team also entered the Intermediate and Junior/Novice event where we got Silver and Gold respectively (new SA record in the novice category). It was a phenomenal experiment for me to put together a very junior team with about 800 jumps between the other 3 members and almost zero competition experience and see what we could do with 50 training jumps and 9 hours at Bodyflight Bedford coached by Lise Nansen who was amazing. The results were surprising since we beat some teams that have been together for a couple of years and have also done the wind tunnel training thing etc.

In the FS Female event there were 2 registerd teams: Quintoya and PUG. They only completed 7 rounds over the scheduled meet and Quintoya won the event by 1 point over those 7 rounds. PUG completed the last 3 rounds yesterday (after the meet had been called we thought and the awards ceremony had taken place) and will no doubt claim the win but the jumpers here know the true result. It must be noted that 2 members of the current national open team that will participate at the WM in Germany jumped on the PUG team considerably increasing their skill and experience level. In SA, if requested, the female draw is different to the Open draw to enable females to participate in both. There are many argumets both for and against this but that's a seperate thread! Quintoya [Jacqueline Geyer, Charis Baleson, Lynda Krul, Claire King, Teryl Harrington, Riaan Bergh (Camera)] were also coached by Lise at Bodyflight Bedford and did an outstanding job at this competition. I'm not sure what the average was but it was over 10 think.

Anyway, small country skydiving politics aside this was one the best FS national competitions that I have attended in terms of turnout and competency. The skill level is increasing largely due to facilities like SV and Bodyflight and generally a higher drive to compete better against the rest of the world.

Official scores and results will no doubt be posted soon. If they are not then I will track them dow and put them up here.

Alex

Just to clear a few things up, the Female Open Competition was an on year for South Africa, requested by both teams (corrections if incorrect).

Due to some slight weather issues, and members of both temas jumping in various 4-Way and 8-Way events the competition had only goten to round 7 before the last day, Team PUG requested that the event be taken to all 10 rounds, and the meet directot agreed and the competition was completed on the weather day, the other team did not jump in protest over the desision, and thus scored 0 on the rounds.

This was not a last minute decision, PUG had requested all 10 rounds before the competition had started.

Well done to the PUG girls for the win, and looking fwd to seeing your results in Germany.

PS. One only has politics if one requires it to serve ones own agenda,

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

;)
I am sure this debate will be continuing for a while, but since I was there I can clear up the misconceptions.

The female meet was not called on the Sunday and that was also not the last day of the meet. Monday was the official last day. That was why there was no awards ceremony for the female event and the official results had a "to be completed" heading on the category.

Both teams were asked if they wanted to complete the full draw and they both agreed. (3 times)
Both teams were at the DZ on Monday for the remaining 3 jumps and Quintoya chose not to board the plane, so scored O's for the last 3 rounds.

So sorry to correct you Karl and Alex.
It was unfortunate that internal team politics prevented them from completing the competition, as it was very close and would have been awesome to have the 2 teams there for the remainder of the competition.

So yes, Pug having completed all 10 rounds were officially and legally awarded first place.

Unfortunate, it was lonely in the plane...
:(

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Ah yes .. what a pity that the other events that were not completed were also not given the opportunity to jump on the weather day. Anyway, we will not bore the rest of the world with our stupid arguing. What's done is done. I'm glad that Quintoya kicked your butts. It was well deserved.

Guys - I am OC on team QuintOya. We chose not to jump for various reasons, none of which were political or personal. It was a tight competition and we are proud of our performance against some stiff competition.

So after a team breakfast together to celebrate our performance, we stumbled home, exhausted and satisfied.

Well done to all teams who competed - here's to another great year of skydiving!

It was great to meet you too bro! Thanks so much for all your help, advice and coaching. Hope to see you somewhere in the world again soon :)
As for the meet, it was excellent all round with good results and performances from all the teams, well done guys.

Wrt an earlier post, Project Skyhigh is the name of the open team that took Gold with "This is a tit team" being the scratch team that took Silver.

We look forward to even more fun next year!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

B| It was my first Nationals and It was an amazing experience.
Not only did I learn alot, the vibe was great and it was nice to have skydivers from all around the country and world, Thanks Steve, there to share it with.
Thanks to all the organisers and everyone participated.
Theres nothing better than a skydiving easter holiday :)

From whats been posted so far...It seems on the up and up.

If it was requested and granted, and BOTH teams knew, and one decided to protest by not jumping...Then it is quite fair.

Do I have any of this wrong? Is there something else to be considered?

If you leave before the meet (and a WX day is still a meet), then you get zeros.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hi

I should have posted this earlier, but I lost my result sheet at the closing ceremony party :S

The draws and results for the competition were as follows:
4-Way Open
E-1-J-P, 13-17-15, G-16-19, 11-A-5, Q-B-14-H, 3-C-8, F-6-K-M, 18-9-4, 2-22-21, D-10-N-7
401 Project Skyhigh
19, 13, 16, 16, 18, 15, 22, 13, 12, 16, Total 160, Avg 16
402 This is it Team
12, 11, 10, 10, 11, 10, 15, 11, 11, 12, Toral 113, Avg 11.3
407 dPhi
13, 8, 10, 9, 12, 9, 12, 10, 11, 12, Total 106, Avg 10.60
404 G4B
14, 8, 12, 6, 13, 8, 14, 9, 5, 11, Total 100, Avg 10
403 Fabulous Uniots
13, 7, 11, 6, 13, 8, 14, 10, 9, 8, Total 99, Avg 9.9
405 Superfly
10, 9, 9, 6, 8, 9, 12, 9, 7, 10 Total 89, Avg 8.9
406 Fun Odyssey
7, 5, 5, 6, 5, 5, 9, 7, 6, 0, Total 55, Avg 5.5

4-Way Ladies
D-12-22, H-7-B-F, 15-2-P, M-Q-11-5, 20-6-A, 17-13-4, K-10-18, N-3-21, 9-O-E-G, J-1-C-8
411 PUG aka bnb
8, 17, 8, 9, 10, 8, 7, 9, 15, 11, Total 102, Avg 10.2
410 Quintoya
8, 17, 9, 9, 8, 9, 8, 0, 0, 0, Total 68, Avg 6.8

8-Way Open
8-G-O-7, H-20-B-9, 16-13-15, 2-19-17, C-L-4-K, Q-18-A-11, 10-N-21, J-6-12, 5-P-F-3, D-M-14-22
801 Geri 8 Trix
7, 6, 9, 6, 11, 8, 8, 8, Total 63, Avg 7.87
802 Project Assassin8
7, 7, 9, 5, 9, 7, 8, 7, Total 59, Avg 7.37

Results from the other competitions:

4-Way Intermediate (6 Rds)
302 Quintoya
11, 17, 16, 14, 12, 12, Total 82, Avg 13.66
304 Dphi
10, 13, 4, 12, 13, 11, Total 63, Avg 10.50
301 Swoop my Pottie
10, 11, 10, 9, 11, 9, Total 60, Avg 10.0
303 Kiss my Tailgate
3, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9, Total 50, Avg 8.33
305 Bloem
5, 5, 4, 1, 5, 4, Total 24, Avg 4.0

There are additional scores for 4-Way Novice, 2-Way Novice and Open. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post them.

Blue skies
Emile