tbrown

Info On Casters

My daughter's high school drumline is trying to work up a routine based on "March of the Penguins". If you've seen the film, you know that penguins sometimes get around on their bellies.

My daughter and her band teacher are extremely intrigued with Airspeed videos and would like to get more info on training casters, cost, where to get them, etc, etc. Any info would be most helpful.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I know of several Teams that make they're own.

They are generally constructed from 3/4 inch Plywood Cut to shape and then most of the ones I've seen have caster wheels (see attached photo) usually 4 sometimes 3.

As for padding I've seen a variety different things...

I don't know where you can buy them though.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Try a material handling supply warehaouse and look for furniture dollies. Usually cost about $15+ and can be used as a creeper with a base attached. The proper casters alone in Home Depot will cost more.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I don't know where you can buy them though.

They are made by a jumper in NC .. called Caspers Creepers. You can order them from SkyCat at Raeford (dropzone in NC)

I think the website is www.skycat.com

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

do you mean creepers?

Yeah, creepers. Thanks, sometimes I just go blank for the right word.

My kid's bandleader has a lot of creative ideas, like marching arrangements to Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite", or Gershwin's "American in Paris". Last year they did an Alladin thing for drumline and this year he wants to do something based on March of the Penguins. My kid has shown him some Airspeed videos that are just blowing his mind and he says THAT'S exactly the kind of thing he'd love to do with Drumline this spring. I thinks it's really cool.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Somehow I could not find them on-line but last time I checked they were pretty expensive - something like $175 each. You can buy the wheels and make the homemade creepers, it will save you some money. Alternatively, you can try to borrow them at DZ. I doubt that the kids will use the creepers for a long time, so buying them will be a waste of money.

I know of several Teams that make they're own..

Those exact ones are at Dunn and Co Casters - des moines, IA (double bearing, red poly wheel, smooth rolling)

http://www.dunncasters.com/index.html
less than $10 last time we bought some

do a search here on creepers and you'll see a ton of info

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1516913

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=682780

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If price is a serious consideration, and they can't build their own, there's always the lowly mechanic's creeper (which was how they started in the first place). They start at about $25.00. Not as good as skydiving creepers, but it depends on what you actually need.
Mechanics' creepers

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

do you have a link for on-line store ?

I don't know if they have one. I call them directly, talk to the sales rep, and place an order. They know which caster I use and the last guy I referred had no issues. The contact info is in that web-link

I've had these for 5 years now. I clean them every time I replace the platform (every couple years). Occasionally lube the bearings, but have gone entire seasons without. Still the smoothest casters I've ever used - they just float (bearings in both pivot and wheels is the key).

My only issue is my last build is pretty heavy as we had leftover 3/4 inch oak plywood. Gorgeous creepers as we used the opportunity to do a very nice finish job with logos etc, but I'd like less heavy. Also, quick disconnect wheels would be nice for travel. I understand the Caspers have both of those figured out - worth looking into.

I'd not do anything special for just a kids band thing, Wendy has the right idea - get 'em cheap (or use the crappy Home Depot casters). But if one were to build them for the school and then keep them for the DZ, that's a different story.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants