headoutdaplane

Competition 'cut' for the twin otter

I have recently returned to flying and as it happens I am flying the otters at SDC. I am wondering what the standards are for competition for the cut, I have been told two different standards by folks (I won't say what they are so as not to skew the answers here). Is there one standard for sanctioned events? or is it set by the meet's organizers (if this is so, what is the most commonly used)? Since I am a freeflyer, I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated. Please do not respond unless you are certain. Thanks, Wes

From the USPA Competition manual:

5-1.12: AIRCRAFT
A. All aircraft must be similar in configuration, interior,
and exterior, as determined by the Meet Director,
who is responsible for ensuring that all teams receive
an equal aircraft rotation within the limits of aircraft
availability.
B. Aircraft speed, torque, and flap settings at the time of
exit, will be determined by Meet Director and the
Chief Pilot, except:
1. Twin Otter: 85 to 95 knots (indicated)inclusive.
2. Cessna: 70 to 90 knots (indicated) inclusive.
3. DC-3: 90 to 100 knots (indicated) inclusive.

There ya go!;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

That is the rule for Formation Skydiving. Each discipline can have it's own jump run speed. Style and Accuracy rules say:

L. Aircraft
1. A variety or combination of aircraft may be used.
2. Aircraft speed at time of exit must not exceed 87 knots (100 mph) indicated.
3. Any slower speed desired will be through mutual agreement of pilot and competitor.

The same is used for all the disciplines at the Collegiates.. Rule 7-1.13

I don't see anything listed for the artistic events.

Yes, you are correct. I made an assumption the question was specific for formation skydiving competition, since he didn't ask in general skydiving discussions.;)

Silly me.:P

Ken

From headoutdaplane... "...Since I am a freeflyer...". Perhaps he means freeflying? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

He was concerned with RW, so it makes sense to post hear. My point was that there are different rules for each event. There are freeflyers and RW teams training at Skydive Chicago. As I posted, each discipline has it's own rules, so just looking at the RW numbers isn't accurate. Since he said he was hearing two different stories, I am thinking the other story might be coming from a freeflyer.

At Nationals the RW and freeflyers are not on the same plane, so you only need to worry about the rules for that discipline. But during training they share jump run...so you have to pick a speed that works for everyone. If an RW team wants to train for exits at the higher end of the competition range, that speed is too fast for freefly competition.

85 knots is within range for both disciplines, so he made a good call. I'll have to ask the Furies how it compares with with jump run at Nationals. A few years ago I was told that Nationals used the upper level of the jump run speed for 4-way. Maybe someone from Perris can tell us what used this year.

Since I am a freeflyer, I have no clue.

Oh Wes, did you really mean that?:P

arrrggghhhh - I can't believe the rest of us missed that. Nicely spotted, John

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants