rehmwa

Block 18 - Do you?

We just switched to our centers crossing first on the advice a good coach. We're finding it a huge improvement (but all my guys did get a good tunnel camp in March so that's much of it - we didn't retry the other double vert since then).

Melanie had a post a long time back about 18s and now I find I've changed my tune a year later.

Why do you do 18's the way you do them?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

WE do it the old way with the outsides crossing first.

I want to try the centers crossing first, but the team does not.

We are getting most of the double catches with our method.

But I really like the centers crossing first. MUCH more solid of a finnish, and the chance of a miss is very small.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Our centers cross first as well. That is the only way I have done it. How are you taking grips on it? Are the centers building the compressed, or are the outsides taking the legs of the centers?

I have a feeling I know the coach you are talking about and I believe he may have told you to bulid the compressed. It didn't feel go to us, a lot of tension was getting bulit into it and it made the cross very hard.
Dom

Maybe I just can't visualize it properly but if you cog it wouldn't you be forcing yourself to do the full 360 or is there a way you can move the pieces while cogging to save movement?
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Maybe I just can't visualize it properly but if you cog it wouldn't you be forcing yourself to do the full 360 or is there a way you can move the pieces while cogging to save movement?

You got the idea. The shear is shorter.

Dom - Yeah it was BC's suggestion (and I'm super grateful for it - I got way more good info than I can possibly process right now). We chose to go with the outsides picking up the grips instead of the IC/OC compressed - makes it easier to build a little level delta during the build at the top. Then it's just an "ass whip" to the twins picture and pretty well a snow-off type finish from there. Just loose arms is big - but a tiny bit of two way rotation didn't hurt us at all, I think better for the outsides to hold ground and spacing during the start move..

It is much more bulletproof and our tail doesn't have to think about my knee dropping down near her helmut for the finish catch (which caused typically overshooting on our vertical blocks and ususally an asymmetric move between point and tail - gunshyness). It was hugely quicker for us and easier to work.

I've now done all 3 in the last couple years and like this one best already.

Edit: I think that eventually the compressed build is the way to go. Here's why - it doesn't need much vert at all for the first move, a little will go a long way if the timing is right and then you don't waste time on the extra unnecessary vert. And the tendency for the outsides to reached back and make the catch really can jeopardize that 2-way and rip out a grip. I would say that with the outside taking grips, you can get the pieces much tighter and cut the turn even more.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Centers crossing first. Consistent, and haven't missed it once this season (it's hard to miss the close with this technique anyway), and the block time is around 2.5 sec.

I have been on two other 4-way teams, one chose the cog method, which is super slow and the other crossed the outsides first which is not very consistent and the top teams do that technique in just under 2 seconds.

The outsides take the grips. It's good to have that extra space for the centers to make their move.

-Samer
Spaceland Directe

We are getting most of the double catches with our method.

You guys are way too good to be settling for any block where you get "most" of the catches. The rapmaster noted you've moved on to another team. How's that working out?

You guys are way too good to be settling for any block where you get "most" of the catches. The rapmaster noted you've moved on to another team. How's that working out?

Like I said, we are getting *most* of the catches. :P

We will know at the next FSL meet. We have not done a draw, but the group is fun...Imagine a Mojo tunnel camp as a team...Fun.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334