Zoter

Exit help needed...

I have recently started filming 4 way RW.
I'm still having a little difficulty getting the exit 'just right'
I am using a pretty baggy freefly suit at the mo whilst I wait to get some wings.....but I think its not all about that....sometimes I get it perfect, but I am lacking consistancy .

As a person who learns more effectively by visual means.....I would appreciate it if anybody out there can point me towards some links for outside video and piccies of the cameramans exit, good or bad....so I can study how they exit

Thanks

:)

As a newer camera guy you will find that sometimes the easiest and safest (for getting the video) is to peel off the plane with the team, basically you dont lead them but as they exit and start to move past, keep them in frame and by turning your head then go. You keep them in frame the whole time and end up on top looking at the team and the ground.... Going with this exit will give a good chance to get a feel for the team and the exit count they use. Once you have the count pretty secure you can move to a leading exit. But the surest exit for the shot is to peel off IMHO.. You might want to post this in Photog and Video as you will get some advice there as well and maby the link your looking for, I cant think of one of the top of my head.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Quade has written some really nice stuff on exits that was useful for our camera guy - it discusses how to do the pro-exit, peel exit, and a hybrid type and what the advantages and disadvantages of each. He was personally helpful to us. Start at his website and check out the articles.

Our guy learned that he doesn't need to get way back, but did need to focus his camera below and behind the lineup (at the Otter wheel) then he got the exits and timing much better. Plus a bunch of other things too.

Check out futurecam.com and you'll get some nice advice.

Wings are hugely important to us, we are still wanting our video much steeper. We've had terrible luck with freeflyers trying to switch to 4-way photography.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What exactly were you missing with freeflyers videoing your team..?
At the mo in my FF suit ...apart from the times I get the exit wrong...everything else is in frame....all arms and legs are visible and close enough to evaluate.

What do you need in the video...ie why more steeper?

Thanks for the help and the link to quades website

With just a freefly suit and no wings, you can do a fairly consistent exit without peeling. Instead of getting back on the step, get as close as possible to the team, even use one hand on the very top of the door (top of door or you get hurt fingers). Pretend your doing a 5 way with the team and follow their count and go just as the tail starts to fall out of the plane. This should but you a little to the side and in a good position. Now arch like you never have before, and you might have to put a little forward input in as well, depending on the block they are taking out. But with a littel practice this exit works pretty well. Also remember to take a deep breath when you get on the step. Good luck and I hope this helps. Wings aren't 100% neccesary, but they help out a lot if you did something wrong.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

What exactly were you missing with freeflyers videoing your team..?
At the mo in my FF suit ...apart from the times I get the exit wrong...everything else is in frame....all arms and legs are visible and close enough to evaluate.

What do you need in the video...ie why more steeper?

Thanks for the help and the link to quades website

For our FF cameraguy attempts, I'm sure it was just lack of experience and a cocky attitude and bad lense choices. Sorry to generalize.

"Steep" ie. "straight over the top" as best as possible makes it clearer for the judges. Flying just over the burble is a tough skill. Our guy is still shooting at an angle and we get gigged on it frequently by judges (every meet either lose a point or two or at least get taken aside and commented on by the judges. More surface area (good wings) I assume helps a bunch when trying to fly in that trashy air overhead.

I'll step away here, I am not a camera person, it looks too tough. Oops, I'm required to say "how hard can it be? it's just taking a picture.":P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

With just a freefly suit and no wings, you can do a fairly consistent exit without peeling. Instead of getting back on the step, get as close as possible to the team, even use one hand on the very top of the door (top of door or you get hurt fingers). Pretend your doing a 5 way with the team and follow their count and go just as the tail starts to fall out of the plane. This should but you a little to the side and in a good position. Now arch like you never have before, and you might have to put a little forward input in as well, depending on the block they are taking out. But with a littel practice this exit works pretty well. Also remember to take a deep breath when you get on the step. Good luck and I hope this helps. Wings aren't 100% neccesary, but they help out a lot if you did something wrong.

Make that de-arch like youve never done before:P

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!