TheMonkey

Wheels & Casters for Creepers

Suggestions on where to get them??? Looking for something that will suffice, not sure whether to go with a wheel and caster combo or to piece them together using rollerblade wheels...

add:
i have checked with Casters of Oklahoma..Performa wheels and casters (125lbs capacity) are $9.85 a peice, I was looking to be a little cheaper than that...

thanks,
monkey

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Dunn and Co Casters in Des Moines IA might still be around, that's where I get mine. But $8 to $10 is about right unless you swing a volume discount.

make sure -
double bearing (both pivot and wheels)
poly/plast/rubberize wheels too

IMO - the casters are the single most important component - that and the tequila

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've dealt w/ Casters of Ok. and they're awsome. Just make sure you specify the exact wheel you want. We were happy with the performa 3" x 7/8" ones. I remember paying $7 something per wheel and caster after a big of friendly negotiations.

We used 1/2 birch plywood for the decks. A little more pricey, but the smooth finish, strength and light weight were worth it. We just cut, waterproofed, drilled, and padded. Quick and easy.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

appreciate the nuggets all....i went with Dunn & Company as they were about $2 cheaper per caster...the guy knew who you were Rehm...

thanks again

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Hope you got the right wheels. And I bet the skydiver he was thinking of was our NPSL regional director, not me. In any case, there is another post here about creepers - do the search. The first bit is good. The last bit is wierd. Good advice all around also points to a good creeper made in NC.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey Danny:
If you talk nicely to Todd he may help you out with some advice on making them. (now that you obviously arent thinking of buying any from him: he is Casper of Casper Creepers ;))
(Imho they are the best creepers, but I guess I am a little biased, eh?)
Pm me and I can give you his details if you like.

See you at CSS for Easter sweetie B|
Also are you going to the tunnel Mem day weekend with Lynn?

Rehm..
*Yeah...What you said* (about that thread...:P)
Have a blast next weekend, eh?

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

i refuse to whisper sweet nothins in Todd's ear;)

got the casters and wheels, creepers built and work well...only draw back is the weight of the casters and wheels, heavier than I thought they would be, but they roll good and are comfy (plus i don't have to lay on them)...

I'll be down Thursday morning girlie! and no, i am bailing on the tunnel trip would rather skydive than hang around the tunnel and drop loot that i don't have:S

---------------------

I know it's too late, but another nice thing to consider -

most creeper platforms have the same shape (a thick 'Y' shape)

problem is the legs usually spread out rather wider than one should fly

My last build I cut the creeper so that the space between the legs is filled in. The right one in the picture (yes, a teammate had some really nice plywood leftover, yes I had a lot of time over winter and yes they are too heavy. I might even upholster them later) That way, if a teammate is having issues flying with the legs spread too far, they can creep easier with the creeper turned around (wide part under the chest).

Got this advice from a coach last year (either chromy or steve hamilton) - a couple teammates are working on knees more together in the mantis.

i refuse to whisper sweet nothins in Todd's ear;)

Wimp ;) (he has quite nice ears, what's wrong with you?) :D:D

I'll be down Thursday morning girlie! and no, i am bailing on the tunnel trip would rather skydive than hang around the tunnel and drop loot that i don't have:S

Wooohooooo.. I will be there from Thursday morning and will be massaging on Thursday and Friday.. (tell Chris to find some money!) Cant wait to see/jump with you and Carolyn..

Oh and Rehmwa....
Turning the creeper round to get those knees together is a must when you are going to fly with the mojo gang.. They are the narrow stance Nazis B|B|
(minxx wanders off muttering something about lucky buggers with tunnel time this weekend ;))

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

(minxx wanders off muttering something about lucky buggers with tunnel time this weekend ;))

Rehmwa wanders off the other way muttering about how short these vacations are and how another 3 days of training would be fun. (looks in wallet - shrugs and goes to buy Ramen noodles)

We found 4" spinning wheels at Home Depot for $8.35 ea. Doubt you'll find a better deal than that. They don't get stuck in the cracks of the hangar floor. There are also rubber coated, but the hikes the cost over $13.75 per wheel!

Using a center wheel is the key, so make sure your design includes that -- whether 4 wheel or 5 wheel. I'm new to all this, so maybe that's obvious. But I've seen them without, and it is not good.

We went with 2" foam padding too... when y
u get the super return stuff (JoAnn Fabrics) 3/4-1" would be more than sufficient, and easier to cover.

Now, if we could just design a headrest....
Dr. "Q" PMS#151Shugah,Shugah,How'd Ya Git So Fly?

I've found the center wheel doesn't matter at all if the castors are double bearing and free moving. But for the home depot types, you'll need a center wheel as they aren't very good for this use - but will do in a pinch. And for $8 you should be able to get a much better castor if you are willing to send away for one and wait for the shipping delay.

I've found the center wheel doesn't matter at all if the castors are double bearing and free moving. But for the home depot types, you'll need a center wheel as they aren't very good for this use - but will do in a pinch. And for $8 you should be able to get a much better castor if you are willing to send away for one and wait for the shipping delay.

I paid $20AUD per castopr here in Oz and I used a center wheel. Not so much for turns, but moreso for when i kneel on the creeper, the center wheel suports the middle. I used 20mm MDF for the board, and i dont want it breaking :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi, Rehmwa.

This question is related to flying mantis with knees closer together. Sounds interesting. What is the advantage?

Thanks,
- Ed - B|

I'll try, but there are better people here to explain than me.

1 - wide knees make it hard to arch clean. So a bad arch mean a big flat or cupped low point and your pressure stagnation point dances around. (i.e., turns swirl out a lot easier). So getting them comfortable a little less than shoulder width apart let's you get your hips down easier and gives cleaner air passing around your body (the stag point stays put between your hip bones better). Try and push your hips forward with your knees wide - it hurts. wide knees almost always results in cupping air with your hips (butt is up). That's bad. You see it alot with female AFF students for some reason. I think this is biggest reason.

2 - Getting the knees together (really I just mean not wide apart) helps to generate more power, when close together, both legs build a more continuous rudder rather than 2 smaller ones when working the air.

3 - Some people want to be really wide and say it's for "stability". Well a little dynamaic INstability makes us more manuverable. I'd rather get my stability from a good arch and lots of clean, fast, air flow around my body rather than a big wide stance with my butt sticking up. And per the above, it's an illusion, with the stag point washing around, it's not really stable at all.

4 - A big wide stance restricts the range of motion available to your legs and hips.

5 - Once you train it, it's much more comfortable. And it doesn't look as dorky as someone who always looks like they are trying to cup air.

Anyway, most people have a too wide stance. When I practice, sometimes I'll do entire dives trying to keep the inner grippers in light contact. I don't want to fly that way, but a little overcorrection while thinking about it goes a long way to getting my knees spaced better when I'm not thinking about it. (Much like skiing, it's hard to get the knees together, but once you do, it's a better and more effective way to hold your body).

All that said, I suspect that even with a wide knee stance: 1-if you can get your hips down good for clean air and; 2 - have plenty of range of movement in your knees and hip joints, then it won't matter as much. Everyone is different, but I suspect if most would give it fair chance they'd fly 'cleaner' anyway if not better.

For me (I'm not a physically flexible person) it's critical and I have to continually work on it to unlearn my first 1500 jumps of bad habits.

I hope I did justice to this one. It's really for the coaches.

Dude!

Thanks. This wealth of information shows that you have been exposed to some pretty good coaching. I have honestly never thought about flying with the knees a little closer together. Maybe I've watched too much video of the big guys trying to stay with big formations. I will say this: I've seen myself on video making final approaches on big-ways and my knees were fairly close together. Maybe I was doing this subconsciously to maintain fall rate and momentum until I got to my slot. Hmmm. Makes sense and now (thanks to you) I have some good information to pass on to the beginners team I am putting together at my home DZ.

Rock on! Skydive hard too!

Ed B|B|

Ed - If you have a beginners team, this is too much to think about unless you go get some mantis specific coaching from a pro. Just remember to keep arching so people don't struggle, and stay level and in control - sometimes teams slowly dearch as a group and then they wonder why the ends of the dive are so uncomfortable..... The other stuff is for later.

have fun