tdog

Books/Info on Belly Flying

I just spent some time with a coach in the tunnel and realize how much there is to learn and how much I did not know.

Does anyone know of a good website/book/etc that shows different body positions and how it effects flying? Kind of like a "trick" book like I have for snowboarding... Not to replace coaching, but to supplement the learning.

Skydive University sells a tape/DVD "Basic body flight theory". It does not cover the newest and most advanced techniques, but the basic principles are explained pretty well.
Also, keep in mind that there is more than just flying you body. The information on how to fly relatively to the others, take grips and maintain the visual contact is scattered. The best way to learn this would be to talk to some experienced FS person at your DZ or tunnel coach.

Edit to add a link:

http://www.skydiveu.com/

I just spent some time with a coach in the tunnel and realize how much there is to learn and how much I did not know.

It never ends. Literally. I'd suggest it's a bit like the matryoshka (those Russian nesting dolls); you can appreciate the work and stop there, or you can dig a little deeper and find a whole new level of appreciation/knowledge.

Does anyone know of a good website/book/etc that shows different body positions and how it effects flying? Kind of like a "trick" book like I have for snowboarding... Not to replace coaching, but to supplement the learning.

I am a bookworm. I read incessantly. I read the instruction manuals that come with extension cords. But I have found no worthy material on body styles for flying - definitely not any cool "body tweaks". The best teacher is experience, bar none. I'll go so far as to say no one can appreciate the more subtle differences, until they have a foundation of experience to build upon and have tried it themselves. Remember how, before your first skydive, the instructor told you about the arch, drew diagrams, put you on your belly and made you arch, but you could not appreciate it until you made a few jumps, feeling how it feels in different degrees of arch.

There are good books on skydiving but none about body flight per se. There are a couple of standouts about the mental aspects of the sport, perhaps more relevant to competitors, but applicable to all skill levels and disciplines as well. My two favorites:

1. The New Toughness Training for Sports (not skydiving, but highly relevant and there is none better)
2. Mental Training for Skydiving and Life

My best advice is to retain the mindset of a student always, experiment with slight differences until you find what works well for you, and get as much coaching as you can (I am still getting actively coached and learning an amazing, humbling amount).

I recommend "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

wherever you see 'planet' replace it with "arousal level", whereever you see "brick" put in "mantis", and whereever you see "pitchfork" put in "presentation"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Inner Game is also made for skiing, and has more similarities with skydiving if you ask me. Principle however being the same.
I agree Inner Game can do a lot for you! :)
Inner Skiing
W. Timothy Gallwey & Robert Krigel.
a Random House publication.

I heard the author made a book for skydiving as well.

Also, I have another book I could recommend. Will get the name on the book for you on monday.

I recommend "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

wherever you see 'planet' replace it with "arousal level", whereever you see "brick" put in "mantis", and whereever you see "pitchfork" put in "presentation"

Whenever you see "towel" replace it with "beer". :D:P
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Hi, tdog.

Sorry there isn't much literature about basic body flight. A good drill is to exit a 2-way, break, and let one jumper pop above and let the other jumper get big to match fall rates. Do the same thing with one jumper sinking below and the other jumper doing likewise to match the faster fall rate. This will teach you a lot about how it "feels" to fall fast and slow.

When you're ready to start doing 4-way, check out my article titled "The ABCs of 4-Way," which was published in the April 2004 issue of Parachutist.

Blues!
Ed Lightle

Do the same thing with one jumper sinking below and the other jumper doing likewise to match the faster fall rate. This will teach you a lot about how it "feels" to fall fast and slow.

I practiced that in a tunnel with a coach. I had a lot of fun just trying to match his rate and go up and down with him and stopping before touching the net. The video shows my skill alternates between total chaos and reasonable "synchronized falling". Fortunately, at the end of the 5 minutes of drilling it, I got much better, not much worse. ;-)

I don't have the April 2004 parachutist available. Do you have it on your computer that you could PM me or post the text so I can read it? I once looked but gave up, is there an archive of older magazines online somewhere???

Thanks,

Ed.