skipro101

How good does one's RW need to be for coach rating

You do not need a coach rating to share your love of the sport and help others at a USPA dropzone. You only need a coach rating (or higher) to work with unlicensed jumpers. You can share you love of the sport and help recently graduated A licensed jumpers all day.

A coach may only teach the FJC under the supervision of an instructor. Most reputable DZ's will make that supervision very, very close. Coaches (especially ones that are interested in the minimum requirements to get the rating) as not qualified to teach the FJC by themselves.

Why this burning desire to teach the FJC? It seems you are fixated on this one aspect of coaching.

- Dan G

You only need a coach rating (or higher) to work with unlicensed jumpers

And this can be waived as well. The only thing you NEED a coach rating for is to get the other instructional ratings.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

>>> Plus, I want to be able to teach the first jump course.
>> See USPA IRM, especially page (16 of 27), section A.4.
> That talks about AFF. See 12 of 17, #2 a and b about the privliges of coaches.

Correct, but the first jump course is not allowed of a USPA coach. I don't want to get into a reg-quoting contest. I provided the link to the free portion of the IRM so you would have USPA sanctioned answers to your questions about requirements. Your S&TA will be more than happy to help you out with any specifics that apply to your unique situation and abilities.

>> ... you do not need a rating of any type to [share my enjoyment for the sport and help others].
> You do at a USPA dropzone...

Not true, except for 'helping' student jumpers. It has been my observation that the people most needing coaching and help are those who are no longer students, myself included.

It has been my observation that the people most needing coaching and help are those who are no longer students, myself included.

Excellent point.

The organizers I most enjoy jumping with are those that coach each jumper for his/her slot, regardless of how experienced that jumper may be.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

skipro101,

While I am somewhat new to the posts here, I was monitoring this post while sitting at my desk. A big focus of course on the USPA Coaches Course is RW and assisting new students begin adjustment into more advanced flying skills. To me the course was a piece of cake. However something that does come out of it (and my instructor told me) is the beginnings of instructor development. The fact that you are a freeflyer really doesn't matter (aside from the fact that you have to be able to do RW to pass the course), the ability to coach and coaching style are the most important items that you can gain from the course. The basics that you will get out of the course can be applied to any discipline of skydiving. The bottom line, people skills and the ability to convey accurate concepts in an easy to understand manner is key in being a good coach in any discipline.

Oh by the way, my USPA Coaches course consisted of a variety of disciplines, including CReW dogs. I hope this helps.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

Makes me feel better, because i have thousands of hours teaching skiing and am certified level III PSIA-Intermountain. So, if coaching skills are what the focus is on, I definately feel better about not waiting till im 500+ jump numbers to start.

I intend to have 200 before the coaches course this fall. I figure that, with my currency, ...as long as i focus on training for it on all my next jumps...., that i ought to be prepared enough not to make an ass out of myself. :)
only time will tell hehe :P

And this can be waived as well. The only thing you NEED a coach rating for is to get the other instructional ratings.

Hey. I'm curious as to how one gets that requirement waived. I thought I read the SIM and IRM pretty in-depth, but I must have missed where it says jumpers still on student status can jump with someone who is not even coach rated. Could you please explain how one does that?

Thanks!

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Why don't you try the Atmosphere Dolphin tests?

If you want to know your freefly skills are what they should be that would be the ticket. If you want to coach FF for money...........I don't know about everyone else, but all of my FF coaching (100+) is with Dolphin License holders. You don't want to take on FF coaching until you are 100% prepared, not 98% or 99%. Corking into a student or vice versa at 180 - 200 mph has killed/ severely injured more than one coach and student.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Hey. I'm curious as to how one gets that requirement waived. I thought I read the SIM and IRM pretty in-depth, but I must have missed where it says jumpers still on student status can jump with someone who is not even coach rated. Could you please explain how one does that?

each dz can adjust the ISP to suit its needs, if they dont require the "jumpmaster" to hold a coach rating then unless I misunderstood something, they dont need it.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Thanks!

Look in the "waivers" section of the BSRs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.