mischo

Block 10

Hi Steve,

Without going too much into the technical details of this non-repeater block (or any other non-repeater block), the problem here is that we have a block where a slots switch will occur... there's no way that can be avoided!

I'm not completely aware about the statistics for whose piece (front or rear) has usually the memory in Block 10... actually my first impression, now that you've talked about it, was that the front piece usually has the memory most (slots switch)... for example, in my previous team (Matrix FS) we had the front piece (myself OC and the Point) to perform the slots switch.

Mostly, going for one or another, I think that is an option the team takes, based on their individual and team performance... or the way they think the team will get maximum output not only for a particular non-repeater block but for the complete the dive pool (a kind of "cost of opportunity" concept).

Many teams, for some reasons (technical skills and "easiness" versus trouble of one or more team members on memorizing) put all the memory in the front piece, some others in the rear piece, and the remaining have a "shared" solution, which is, the front piece will have the memory for some of the non-repeaters and the rear piece will have the memory for the remaining non-repeater blocks.

Besides the technical details involved with each of the slots switch blocks, that could lead to any of the 3 mentioned options above (front, back and shared memory), I think that is mostly a consequence of the team's strategy, later materialized on each team's continuity plan... and as the team improves as a team, that continuity plan might change: a continuity plan should be dynamic (look at Majik in one of the interviews they granted to NSL where they mentioned that... that they were going to introduce some changes in their continuity plan, related with the pieces having the memory).

I remember that Majik, a world-class top team, not long ago had one of the pieces with the memory for all the blocks... for example Arizona Airspeed and later Airspeed Vertical had a shared solution.

It's all upon the team's continuity plan, the plan that materializes the team's choices to face all the possible dive's engineering coming out of a draw.

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

We also gave the slot-switch to the front piece. That's a decision that you should make when you come up with a continuity plan. Ours was that the front piece always switched.

Besides, I'm a tail flyer, and you're gonna have to beat me up to take away my cool move on that block! :P
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Why do teams generally give the memory to the rear piece on block 10?

Most teams give it to the front piece.

Its easier to train 2 people to learn all the moves in two slots than teach 4 people two different slots.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Besides, I'm a tail flyer, and you're gonna have to beat me up to take away my cool move on that block! :P

I've flown all but the point on Diamond/BY and by far the two tail positions are a gas. I always thought the tail was most fun until I took the "ride" as the IC with a good tail person. Yow! that's fun.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I would like to withdraw this question because it is a stupid error that I made, though dynamic and cool looking, the rear piece doing a 360 would probably not lend to them having memory. The 180 upfront is where the slot switch occurs. Not only am I stupid I am ugly as well:$ I sincerely do not know what I was thinking when I asked. Thank you for not flaming me, which is what I richly deserved.
Mish

I would like to withdraw this question because it is a stupid error that I made, though dynamic and cool looking, the rear piece doing a 360 would probably not lend to them having memory. The 180 upfront is where the slot switch occurs. Not only am I stupid I am ugly as well I sincerely do not know what I was thinking when I asked. Thank you for not flaming me, which is what I richly deserved.
Mish

This is not talkback..We don't flame folks for stupid questions. We just make them buy beer;)

As for ugly...thats why they made Full face helmets.

I really didn't know what the hell you were talking about....But I thought maybe you didn't really mean block 10.

Anyone near Suffolk so we can make sure he buys beer?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334