Ron

Windtunnel Before or during the Nationals.

In case some don't know its a quick way to be disqualified:

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MEETING,
July 11 - 13, 2003
Fredericksburg, Virginia

The Committee discussed whether competitors would be allowed to use the wind tunnel after the
draw. The Committee interpreted “1-1.6:B. Once an event begins, no competitor in that event
will be permitted training or fun jumps.” to include wind tunnel use. Based on this interpretation
the wind tunnel will not be permitted after the draw at the 2003 Nationals in Lake Wales. A
motion to add the word wind tunnel to the SCM will be happen at the next meeting.

The draw is done the night before at around sunset.

Just an FYI.

Clicky

And do a search for "Wind Tunnel"
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Another note for those who may not know:

The draw for 4-way this year is on SATURDAY night. I just found this out myself.

This will allow teams to jump on Saturday, register, etc.

Meaning, we can go to the tunnel at 5 am on Saturday :S LOL
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

While I understand the intent, I worry about how this will play out. Why is 2-d practice/engineering such as creeping okay, but 3-d wind tunnel practice/engineering not okay?

What about visualization, is that permitted?:S
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Why is 2-d practice/engineering such as creeping okay, but 3-d wind tunnel practice/engineering not okay?

What about visualization, is that permitted?

A line has to be drawn somewhere. 'Practice' in a virtually identical environment to freefall, ie a vertical column of 120mph air,is about as close to a skydive as you can get.

I doubt any skydiver would say that creeping or visualising is more similar to freefall than tunnel. The common sense ruling?

While I understand the intent, I worry about how this will play out. Why is 2-d practice/engineering such as creeping okay, but 3-d wind tunnel practice/engineering not okay?

There is a big difference between creeping and flying in the tunnel. One you can get the pictures and lean the moves...The other you can do all that and practice HOW to do the moves.

Its a common sense rule. They will not let you do a solo FF jump once the draw comes out, it makes sense not to let you go fly in the tunnel.

What about visualization, is that permitted?

No. You are not allowed to use your brain during the nationals. The fear is you might realize that you spend way to much money to train and you have to compete against Airspeed, Majic, the GK's ect and you might just pack up and go home. Furthermore they are afraid you might listen to the whuffos that will be there and when they ask "Why do you jump out of a perfectly good Airplane?" You might think about it and realize that there really is not a good reason and quit right there.

So we have come up with a slew of standard replys to this question that you must have memorized to be allowed to compete:

1. Have you see the Airplane?
2. The plane is fine, but the pilot is always drunk!
3. I trust the pilot, but the mechanic got his A/C rating from that Sally Struthers bitch on TV...It was either Aircraft Mechanic or TV/VCR repair.
4. I don't so much JUMP as FALL.
5. I did WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You will be tested.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This has always been an issue of honor. As a competitor I have always counted on the honor of those I compete against. This current issue is no different than if you get the draw and go someplace to practice out of an airplane. The line is drawn as to what constitutes honorable behavior. I happen to agree with this decision.

It is probably impossible to stop cheaters if they choose to cheat, although it is almost always true that they will get caught, and suffer the consequences.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I -totally- agree with the decision.

As for it being a matter of honor, well, realistically there hasn't been a very good way to cheat in the past. The draw is given after sunset before the first day of competition so unless they were going to do night jumps . . . well, it just wasn't an option for the first 6 rounds at least.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, exactly how do you think this will be enforced?

USPA official stationed at the wind tunnel or are they counting on the competitors ratting each other out?

Competitors ratting each other out. While I don't like the idea of a guy ratting on anyone...I hate the idea of a cheater even more.

For once the USPA made a good choice.

And it will not be as hard as you think...everyone knows everyone elses buisness in 4way.

So, exactly how do you think this will be enforced?

USPA official stationed at the wind tunnel or are they counting on the competitors ratting each other out?

Competitors ratting each other out. While I don't like the idea of a guy ratting on anyone...I hate the idea of a cheater even more.

For once the USPA made a good choice.

And it will not be as hard as you think...everyone knows everyone elses buisness in 4way.

Just like that Bad Bad, team Frost using an unregistered alternate, last year!

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

U.S. Naval Observatory
Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Lake Wales, Polk County, Florida (longitude W81.6, latitude N27.9):

Saturday
18 October 2003 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 7:04 a.m.
Sunrise 7:28 a.m.
Sun transit 1:12 p.m.
Sunset 6:54 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:18 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 1:53 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 12:12 a.m.
Moon transit 7:28 a.m.
Moonset 2:41 p.m.
Moonrise 1:11 a.m. on following day

Last quarter Moon on 18 October 2003 at 8:31 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

One can safely assume that the draw will be after sunset at Lake Wales, however, it would be prudent to check with the meet director Scott Smith. Further, I can't even imagine not being AT the draw when it happens. It's one of the most electric and exciting times associated with the meet.

Isn't it kind of a drive from point A to point B?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hopefully we'll be there for the draw, but I think our priority is to get as much flying time together as we can (pick up team, we've never all jumped together before.) I'll definitely give Lake Wales a call and find out the actual time of the draw though and hope we can all get there for it...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com