andy2

Weight belts - how much weight?

I am told I fall incredibly slow, my AFF instructor had a time keeping up with me, and I have since jumped and floated away from numerous people :$

I am thinking of obtaining a weight belt, what weight should I start out with? I am 5'6" and weigh 125 pounds, and am told I fall like 105 or so.

Before anyone jumps on me for not working on my arch, I have been trying as hard as possible to arch HARD, its just I find it VERY hard to take grips in that hard an arch and when I go for a grip I subsequently float away...

Thanks again! B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I am told I fall incredibly slow, my AFF instructor had a time keeping up with me, and I have since jumped and floated away from numerous people :$

I am thinking of obtaining a weight belt, what weight should I start out with? I am 5'6" and weigh 125 pounds, and am told I fall like 105 or so.

Before anyone jumps on me for not working on my arch, I have been trying as hard as possible to arch HARD, its just I find it VERY hard to take grips in that hard an arch and when I go for a grip I subsequently float away...

Thanks again! B|

So, how fast would you like to go? Is your 105 when relaxed, or in your HARD arch?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I am 5'9" 150 and I typically wear about 10lbs of lead on average. Sometimes none, sometimes 15, but usually right around 10. My thoughts on weights (and I know people there are people who will disagree) is that you should wear weights/suits to adjust your fall-rate so you don't have to as much.
Both Jack Jefferies and the Golden Knights have told me this and their reasoning is when you are doing RW you want to be in as natural of an arch as you can be in so that you have the greatest range of motion. If you are arching as hard as you can to keep up with the group then you have nothing left if suddenly you pop up. Let the weights/suit do the work for you and keep the arch to minor adjustments. You definitely want to learn a good arch and dearch so that you can use them when you have to, not all the time.
I know people who are adamant about not wearing weights and that's fine, I like to make life easy for myself, it's hard enough to remember those non-repeaters...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

105-110 (maybe) is my arch, as in trying my best to go fast. I've done a fall rate jump, and on most of my solos I've done fall rate adjustments. I'd like weights as I plan to start flying mantis, and I heard that SLOWS you down. I would like to go about 120 (which I think is average?). What do you recomend?

let my inspiration flow,

105-110 (maybe) is my arch, as in trying my best to go fast. I've done a fall rate jump, and on most of my solos I've done fall rate adjustments. I'd like weights as I plan to start flying mantis, and I heard that SLOWS you down. I would like to go about 120 (which I think is average?). What do you recomend?

I find that 1 pound of lead is worth a bit less than 1mph.

If you want to experiment cheaply, borrow someone else's weight belt (or vest, but belts are more comforatble) and try, say 8 - 10 pounds to see how it works out. Adjust up or down from there as necessary.

It is pretty easy to make a nice looking weight belt by getting two sets of ankle weights from Wal-Mart or Target, and joining them together. Total cost including weights is < $30.

Good idea about the ankle weights. Do you sew them onto a webbed belt or something? How do you keep it from sliding off/up your hips/waist? I have used a weight vest and DID NOT like it at all. It made it significantly harder to manuever, I like the CG where its supposed to be...

let my inspiration flow,

Hi Andy,

My guess is that you'll end up jumping with
10-12 pounds, more if you are with a
fast-falling 4-way. I like a belt better
than a vest, as the weight is more comfortable
on my hips than on my neck/shoulders. The
CG is noticably different, and I also prefer
the weight lower, but either is readily
accomodated after a few jumps to get used
to the difference.

Get a belt that holds more weight -- maybe 16
pounds or more capacity. I've been on jumps
where I was stuffing lead in my jumpsuit pocket
and pants pockets, since I couldn't get more than
12# in my vest. Another source of lead is
your local SCUBA shop, where it'll proabably
be a bit cheaper than at the DZ. They have
moderately priced weight belts also, but
the ones made for skydiving already have
more appropriate connectors/buckles.

You obviously want a fast-falling jumpsuit. Note
that the fat "competition" grips create a
fair amount of drag on your legs. I have them,
but know I wouldn't need as much lead if I
didn't.

Gary

thanks. Yeah I have a slick front suit. Its good, small grips, etc. I was thinking I could make a weight belt for around 10-15, I actually have these chunks of scrap LEAD laying around. Maybe I'll get crafty...

Yeah, I was thinking of starting with 8 pounds and then working from there. My instructor said 8-12 pounds would be appropriate only if I really kept having problems...I want to fly weights as I HATE trying to grip in a hard arch (read impossible).

Plus, positive legs kinda kill my hard arch. [:/]

let my inspiration flow,

Belts are Good. I have a vest only because I have it already.

I modified a Fanny Pack and used it for a long time as well. About 20 pounds would fit into it. I noticed with the fanny pack I needed less weight, so that information should also transfer to the Belt. Has any one elso noticed this with a belt versus a Vest? Any way I'd suggest a belt.

While doing AFF, fly very mantis like. If I need to go faster I point my elbows straight down. (good for short term as in... "Damn I didnt put enough weights on" )

Good Tip on the Ankle weights kallend, I'll look into that myself.

-

Edit: I think this is the FIRST time i've posted in the RW forum... Hmmmm... Any comments??
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

uh, BEER!! Thanks for the advice. Yeah someone at my DZ said belts are more efficient than vests. I'm going to experiment with the ankle weight thing this week sometime so that next weekend I can jump my new rig and a new weight belt for the first time. B|

let my inspiration flow,

Good idea about the ankle weights. Do you sew them onto a webbed belt or something? How do you keep it from sliding off/up your hips/waist? I have used a weight vest and DID NOT like it at all. It made it significantly harder to manuever, I like the CG where its supposed to be...

Reebok makes two sizes (different total weights). Make sure you get ones that hold as much as you need. My belt used 3 ankle weights. The strap that comes with can be used to link them together. I also stitched at the corners to add a bit of stiffness to the finished belt, and added an extra strap for fastening (you don't want it coming undone in freefall and flapping around your handles. I wear the belt over my jumpsuit but under the rig - it really can't fall down because the legstraps won't let it.

hey Andy,
I have the same problem as you. I am 120 and 5'4" and like you my JM's had fun trying to stay with me in freefall. I just got a weight vest with 7 lbs. and I have NO problem at all falling now. I just bought a vest with the ability to place the weights around the waist line, which causes me to arch more naturally and not have the whole movement issue. I know everyone has their own views and I hope I helped a little. I happen to wear mine under my jumpsuit but I have freeweights in my vest that I might lose in freefall:o. Anyways good luck
and happy jumping!
:)
the ebb and flow of the atlantic tides; the drift of the continents; the very position of the sun alone, its ecliptic; THESE are just a few of the things I control in my world

Andy,

I have the exact same stats, 5'6 125lbs. I used a vest at first and had to pack on mucho weights and it killed the shoulders by the end of the day. I switched to a weight belt and love it. I pretty much always wear 12lbs (4way,bigway.....). I do sometimes have to go as high as 18lbs when jumping with really fast 4ways. The belt is comfortable. I do wear it on the inside, only because it has one clip and I have this fear of it falling off. If I had two clips I would wear it on the outside, because as one person has said, you can remove it in an emergency. As far as the amount of weight, I have found that 12lbs gives me a nice neutral position with range in all directions. After awhile you will feel naked without them :)

ah ok, I was thinking I would wear it under my jumpsuit. Any reason why you like it over?

Yes - 1) it comes on and off more easily, and 2) my jumpsuit is so tight it's difficult to get anything under it except a t-shirt.

If I wore it under I prolly wouldn't have bothered with the second fastener.

thanks a lot kallend and everybody else who chimed in. I think Im going to walmart sometime this week to make my belt. Now if kallend you would only turn PMs on so I could incessantly bug you privately about RW related topics >:(

let my inspiration flow,

It is pretty easy to make a nice looking weight belt by getting two sets of ankle weights from Wal-Mart or Target, and joining them together. Total cost including weights is < $30.

Hey, I thought I invented that move...B|

Didn't know anyone out there was as thin as I am...the 2 ankle weights -just- fit around me. :P

140#'s at 5'10". I wear 10# of lead most dives and up it to 16# when I fly fast 4-way team video. Wings and lead...it works!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

5'10" and 155#

Usually wear 10# of weight belt for my 4-way team. I'm working on my mantis position which seems to make me fall faster but I have to even it out to maintain fallrate. I'm gonna work it out in the tunnel this fall.;)

In Big ways I've been wearing 4# but could go for no weight as it only makes me sink a few feet on the 2nd point (or I have to work to keep UP with the formation.)

Weight needs will alter depending on the people you jump with. Old people and lard asses do not arch (they aren't used to it); weight will only take you lower.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Hey, I thought I invented that move...B|

Didn't know anyone out there was as thin as I am...the 2 ankle weights -just- fit around me. :P

140#'s at 5'10". I wear 10# of lead most dives and up it to 16# when I fly fast 4-way team video. Wings and lead...it works!

ltdiver

I wrote "2 SETS". That's 4 units. I need 3 to fit around me, so I have 1 spare.

I recall that you are, indeed, skinnier than I am.

Weight needs will alter depending on the people you jump with. Old people and lard asses do not arch (they aren't used to it); weight will only take you lower.

Ken

Well, thanks. I guess 58 is not old after all, then, since I can go 135+ mph on my belly with no weights if I have to.

Depending on where I'm at in a formation and what I'm doing, depends on how much weight I wear.

Doing four way with my team, all bigger guys, I wear 18 pounds.

If I'm on the outside of a 100 plus way, I don't need to wear any.

Wearing weights will help you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I actually have these chunks of scrap LEAD laying around. Maybe I'll get crafty...

Well, floating surely isnt my problem, quite the opposite, so I cant advise on how much weight, I only want to comment that "Chunks" of lead sounds kinds dangerous to me. What if you have a bad landing on a chunk of lead? Lead shot is small, malleable, and unlikely to cause any injury but I'd be careful with those chunks.
You could get a serious bruise or worse landing on one

Let's be careful out there!

Remember this?:

"As reported on AVweb:
http://avweb.com/n/?18b

Rotorua, New Zealand, was the site of a skydiver bombing early
this week as bags loaded with lead shot fell from the sky and
"blew up" upon impact with the ground. The impact of the
skydivers' weight belts caused them to spray lead shot in every
direction on a road outside of Rotorua airport and injured one
woman. Authorities are investigating."

And a better, more detailed report HERE.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon