haylee

fall rate

I've got a little problem - I FALL TOO SLOW!!:o

I'm ~5'2" and 108lbs. I've tried wearing weights but it doesn't seem to help my fall rate too much (the most I've worn so far is ~10 pounds).

I have a nylon front on my jumpsuit and a lot of spandex everywhere else. I've got a pretty good arch too. The rig I'm using sticks out to the side a little bit, but I didn't think that would alter my fall rate too much...[:/]

Every time I try to move in to dock on someone I pop up (even if I'm not reaching for them:P).

Any tips???
Haylee

Without seeing you in freefall it's kind of hard to give acurate advice. I would ask you though about your arm position and where are you arching from(chest or hips)? Also where are you wearing the weight(chest or waist)?

Something to try is to bring your hands/arms in closer to your head and arch a little bit harder to catch up and then adjust your fall rate from there. it is also usefull if the people your jumping with can control their fall rate some so that your not in a constant chase.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

5'2" and 108lbs isn't too far out of the norm. You can absolutely cure this with a combination of the right jumpsuit, maybe a little lead and proper body positioning.

My suggestion would be to try to get some coaching from somebody that knows how to deal with these issues. If you can swing the trip and the cash, get yourself down to a wind tunnel for some body positioning coaching. Probably the best investment you'll make in your early RW career.

Check out;
http://www.skyventure.com/
http://www.tunnelcamp.com/
http://www.delandmajik.com/camps.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Also where are you wearing the weight(chest or waist)?

I wear the weight on my chest.

Reason I ask is I spoke with a few females during a turkey boogie and they both seemed to agree that they had better fall rates when the weight was on their waist. Quade brings up a good point. If you can I would have a coach take a look at you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The weight issue is a good one but the biggest thing is body position and getting the weight dialed in. I have done 4-way with women yuor size and the can keep up just fine.
The notion of a weight belt might help to get your head and chest. However I would also look at you pody position. Where is your arch coming from your waist or chest. Are your hands by your ears or under your chin. Are your arms out to the side or under yuor shoulder? If you get the correct body position you will fall faster and need less weight. Coome to the tunnel and see if that helps.
Chris

Haylee,

When you are trying to increase your fall rate, avoid bringing your arms back and arching your body like a banana. You might fall faster for a moment, but you will only float as soon as you try to move or take grips.

Instead, be sure to arch from your hips. Get rid of the chest weights, they tend to make you drop your chest and head which is a lot of surface area and makes you floatier and with less control. Get a weight belt, it helps you arch from your hips.

Sit up. Flying with your head down increases surface area and makes you floatier. The body position which will allow you the most flexibile fall rate is like when you lie on your stomach and prop your head up on your hands to watch TV with your legs up. That arch from the hip is the most important.

To come down to a formation when you are floating, pull arms and legs tight to your torso, then snap them back to neutral when you get to the formation.

Check out Quade's web site, www.futurecam.com and look for the "Out of the Box" body flight skills camp photos. Keep your eye on Shannon Pilcher and David Van Greuningen's body positions in those still photos.

Also, go to the tunnel or engage a coach experienced in body flight instruction to work with you using debriefable on-level video. The kind Quade does :$

Haylee, since you're at Skydive Houston, grab Brittany and ask her advice or get a coach jump from her since you're both tiny. She would have a lot better perspective on your issue since she's already "been there, done that".

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Hayley,

I think you're getting lots of good advice from everybody about getting coaching and help with your body position. All that I would add is...make more skydives, relax and have fun! As you get more jumps in, you will be more comfortable in the air and everything will come a little easier. Hang loose!

Murray

I'm 5'1 and 105 lbs, I wear about 8 lbs on every jump, I used to wear a weight vest but have since gone to a weight belt, much more comfortable and puts the weight where you need it most.

The biggest thing is flexability though, you need to be able to get a strech in your upper theighs and hips. This will help you when you end up jumping with the big boys or if you need to sink into a formation.

I agree with Kris, talk to Britney she doesn't (or she didn't anyway)do alot of belly flying but she does some. Also talk to Cyndi (tequilagirl), she is on the turkey hunters (or something like that) 16 way team, and last but not least Larry Hinson, he knows how I fly and maybe can give you some pointers about what I used to do. Although he will probably just say that one day I relaxed and no one could keep up with me anymore. :P

Kelli

Fly it like you stole it!