Jiggs

Pack Voulme Question:

Hey folks, I have a slight problem that I hope someone could answer. (as I am about to change canopies). Anyway does anyone know what the pack volume is on a Sabre 150?

What about a Crossfire 129? (As I see it Icarus lists 2 different sizes amongst their webpage/user manual)

Many thanks!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

PIA measured the Sabre 150 as: 413 cu. in., and 159 sq. ft. (Para-Gear, Pg 228)

PIA measured the Crossfire 126 as: 363 cu in., and 126 sq. ft. (Para-Gear, Pg 228)

Icarus lists the Crossfire 129 as: 295 cu. in. and 129 sq. ft. (Icarus Canopies Owners Manual, Pg 31)

These measurements should be taken with a grain of salt. If you are worried about what canopy will fit in your container, try to find someone that has, or has attempted to put the same canopy in the same size container, and ask them how it worked out for them. Ask your rigger. And best of all, ask the manufacturers.

Hook

best is to forget charts and subjective pack volume figures and simply to ask the rig manufacturer.

most companies have sent the rig manufacturer canopies to pack and properly size containers for. the rig manufacturer will have a list of tested combinations.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Or even better:
Demo the canopy you want to jump. You'll get the canopy mounted on your rigg and you can try how it fits by packing it yourself. :)
If you can't demo the one you actually gonna buy, it shouldn't be so hard to find somewhere you could demo a Sabre150 on your rigg.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for the info guys, the problem is that I have one of the very last Vector 1's! It is in fantastic shape for its age after being closeted for so many years.

Fudd: I have a Sabre 150, I am going to the 129, I guess I just have to hook up a friends canopy in my container and see how it goes.

Cheers
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Down-sizing a Vector I or Vector II from a 150 to a 129 is easy, just shorten the closing loop until it takes 17 -22 pounds of tension to release the pin

quote:

"Thanks for the info guys, the problem is that I have one of the very last Vector 1's! It is in fantastic shape for its age after being closeted for so many years. " end quote.

Your Vector I is probably still airworthy. The only thing you should have to check - in the short run - is the reserve pilotchute. The reserve pilotchute should have been replaced with a Vector II pilotchute a long time ago. Other than that, just replace the Velcro on a regular basis and it should be fine for belly-flying. For free-flying, you will probably want to upgrade it to a BOB with a bridle-hider flap.
Oh, and most older Vectors are easy to update for Cypres installation. Ignore Airtec's instructions for irestrofitting a Cypres in a Vector I since no-one in their right minds is still using Vector I pilotchutes. Go straight to the Vector II Cypres retrofit instructions.
As soon as I get some spare time, I plan on updating the Vector I that is gathering dust in the corner of my loft.