JFC3

PC Drag

Just got a new rig and because of the wind lately I haven't been able to jump it. So, of course, I began playing with it. And the first thing I did was lay it on the ground and pull out the pilot chute and hold the bridle. The pin came out, the flaps opened but the d-bag didn't leave the container. The top flap was still down and it couldn't get above it. So I pulled harder to the point that I lifted the entire rig off of the ground. I even shook it around before it finally came out. Well this didn't sit well with me. The rig weighs 15 lbs. Shouldn't this bag come out more easily than that? Any advice is appreciated.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

It's a 135 in a V308. It's in there snug but not jammed by any count. Now both main and container are brand, spankin' new. So what I'm doing right now is not closing it but leaving the canopy in the d-bag and having the first (top) flaprest on it. It's an attempt to train it like I did my old baseball gloves when I was a kid. I'm going to close her up now and see how it goes again.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

Remember, when your rig is on you in freefall there are different forces on it than when it is just on a table or the floor. I suspect that the tension in the horizontal back webbing when the rig is donned will make a big difference in the extraction force necessary.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

What angle are you pulling the bridle?
Remember that most rigs are designed to deploy in a stable, belly-to-earth position. Any time you change the angle, you vastly complicate deployment.
Oh, and an 80 pound pilotchute can compensate for an awful lot of stiff flaps.