theplummeter

Probably a stupid question...

Why don't swoopers use a direct bag with static line type system for competition?

If the landing is only incidental to the jump I can understand not wanting to be under canopy that quickly, but couldn't jumps be made slider off with a direct bag system with no need for a removable deployment system?

What I've seen is that linetwists are relatively common on square canopies deployed in that method.

Linetwists on a competition loaded high performance X-braced canopy goes from zero to HOLY SHIT in less time than it took you to read this sentence.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why don't swoopers use a direct bag with static line type system for competition?

If the landing is only incidental to the jump I can understand not wanting to be under canopy that quickly, but couldn't jumps be made slider off with a direct bag system with no need for a removable deployment system?

10 direct bag jumps, 7 nice twists.

but couldn't jumps be made slider off with a direct bag system with no need for a removable deployment system?

It's a good thought, but no. Line twists are one problem, and hard openings would be the other.

Even on a staic line jump, you're still doing 70+mph at the time of opening, and without a slider it would be a sudden and painful stop. Consider that BASE jumpers do jump without a slider somtimes, but that's limited to very short delays or static line BASE jumps. Anything with more than a 1 or 2 second delay calls for a slider so the opening isn't so hard, and this in BASE where they want a quick opening.

Line twists are another problem, and they tend to occur because you're falling one direction and the plane is flying (and pulling the d-bag) in another. By the time you climbout to the step, you're already 4 or 5 feet off to the side of the attachment point, and then who knows what happens afte that, but it's ususally line twists.

One additional problem is that you need an SL JM in the plane to do SL jumps. You could do ti with an unrated jumper, but it still requires another slot in the plane and a jumper skilled enough to oversee the static line ops and not kill anyone or bring the plane down.

There were at least two competitors at the PPPB meet in Perris WAY back in 2000 using this method. Actually, both of them used PC's with freebags and they just let them fly off for both distance and speed rounds. Butts did it and I think Troy Ketsdever did it.

Chuck