MagicGuy

Velocity from '99

Hey guys,

I'm flying a velocity 79 from 1999, the first year that the velocity came out. Over the past year of flying it, I've been getting really fast, hard openings a lot of the time.

What I'm wondering is, has PD made any drastic changes to the slider size or line trim since the release of the Velocity? The canopy only has about 450 jumps on it at this point but had the line replaced at 200 jumps by the previous owner.

Any info would be appreciated.

My understanding is that they are always improving it so they may have changed a few subtle things in it's design but chances are only PD and a select few actually know what those differences are. I had an inital hard snatch on my velo for several jumps when i got it but finally sorted it out.
I'm most likely gonna say stuff you already know or have tried but you never know, it may be of help.....
What size is your pilotchute? and is it zp or f111. That may be partly to blame as an oversized one will decellerate the D-Bag off your back at such a rate it's gonna snatch hard, also try putting a few extra rolls on the tail and make sure the slider is up against the stops before bagging the canopy. . There are other things to like riser tuck tabs on your container which can cause hard openings which is why UPT make magnetic ones.

My understanding is that they are always improving it so they may have changed a few subtle things in it's design but chances are only PD and a select few actually know what those differences are. I had an inital hard snatch on my velo for several jumps when i got it but finally sorted it out.
I'm most likely gonna say stuff you already know or have tried but you never know, it may be of help.....
What size is your pilotchute? and is it zp or f111. That may be partly to blame as an oversized one will decellerate the D-Bag off your back at such a rate it's gonna snatch hard, also try putting a few extra rolls on the tail and make sure the slider is up against the stops before bagging the canopy. . There are other things to like riser tuck tabs on your container which can cause hard openings which is why UPT make magnetic ones.

Did you just watch this video. it's like you typed it word for word.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoiLl2B6M

My Velo 111 was one of the earliest made. It never spanked me too hard and almost always sniveled for a long while.

Same here. My 111 was an old boogie demo-fleet model that was still crispy when I bought it a few years ago (no one wanted to jump the "big" velo, so it didn't get brought along very often).

Flies like a champ, opens like a champ...just can't do zone-acc like a champ. I blame the canopy for that one...:ph34r:
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."