swarp619

Swoopers Rig Setup

Opinions vary on harness articulation (rings). In my unhumble opinion, rings absorb some of the harness input one might otherwise give.

Risers are the major customisation for swoopers. Longer (as long as possible while still able to reach the slider); diveloops attached as high as possible and possibly the guide ring for the steering toggles not sewn to the riser but attached to the connector link.

Then a longer chest strap and some extra length (below the half break setting) on the steering lines.

RDS on the canopy, but that's not strictly on the rig.

You asked what, not why, so I'll leave it at that.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I have made a weight belt that is also a belly cradle, it makes leaning forward easier and keeps my weight from being between my rig, it also has quick release snaps for landing in an open body of water accidentally.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

as far as I know. long risers are not needed or recommended on the jvx. at least that is what I was told at one point in time. I will bet it is the same with the comp velo?

You're on. What were you betting? I'll PM you where to send the money (or goods, or services, or packing servants^W^Wmother-in-law).

Never, never, ever heard that one before, and a canopy on longer risers will always have a longer recovery arc than the same one on shorter risers. Generally, this is seen as a feature, not a bug. B|
Johan.
I am. I think.

i have tested different size risers on some of my smaller canopies (71/79) and have felt a difference. enough of a difference where i intentionally jump shorter risers on my smaller canopies to get the recovery arc the way i want it.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Jim Slaton sent me this note in September 2006. I suppose because the canopy was designed with a longer lineset so that longer risers are not necessarily an improvement...

"The JVX is good with 21-22 inch standard risers..."

21-22" isn't a "standard riser." There are typically a short and a long set of risers that manufactures will include depending on the size and measurements of the rigs. How many rigs have we seen from the factory with 18-19" risers?

Not too long ago, 21" risers were considered "long.";)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Short. I use 25" risers.;)

The company formally known as Relative Workshop ships many rigs with 18 or 19" risers, same with Sunpath. Or at least they used to. Its a moot point and just something fun to talk about (the slight changes in gear over the last 15 years with the advancement of canopy flight).

Really though, riser length depends a lot on arm length and what the individual pilot wants. Remember the JVX came about because a guy wanted to do something a little different for performance and he started playing with linesets. The manufacture thought they had it right, but someone wanted it different.

21-22" isn't a "standard riser." There are typically a short and a long set of risers that manufactures will include depending on the size and measurements of the rigs. How many rigs have we seen from the factory with 18-19" risers?

Actually, the 21-22 inch risers are the standard.
That standard is used when developing line trim dimensions.

Usually the 18" inch risers are used by people with shorter arm lengths.

The standard used to be 24" on the old military type rigs. and in the late 80's, the standard type VIII risers were 24-25 inches in overall length.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Well, I'll stand corrected then, I thought the shorter risers were the standard length.

Really though, it doesn't matter, people will tweak the length as they see fit, regardless of what the manufacture says. That's for the good, bad or indifferent.

I have made a weight belt that is also a belly cradle, it makes leaning forward easier and keeps my weight from being between my rig, it also has quick release snaps for landing in an open body of water accidentally.

A couple of people have PM'ed me to post photos so Ihave attached a few to show you what I have made.

I am creating a rigging shop and may make these for sale in the future but not for now, I have been concentrating on developing my handicam gloves and now I'm building stock.

I had various reasons for building this belt;

* nothing between me and my rig
* fast release for unintentional water landings
* incorporated belly cradle
* light weight for travel (just fill with shot at your destination)
* to hone my rigging/sewing skills (still a little rusty)

Unfortunately I have only used it a couple of times as I have been busy starting a new DZ, but we will hold swoop comps once the pond goes in in the future so plenty of time...

My next project is a unit that incorporates all inclusive;

*RDS pouch
*tailbone/coxix protector
*leg strap protector/cover

The function is quite obvious and I will be able to install and remove the unit quickly for different jumps in different disciplines.

I have the design in my head and on paper it is just a matter of finding time to make one and make it work.

:)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

sure is

Are you talking about the 95kgs of total weight or the 9.5 of wight belt?

:D

On a serious note, I have just lashed it on with webbing and although it is very secure it does not look the tidiest, I will make purpose built webbing attachments when I decide to start training again.

I will use neoprene buffers to protect the edge of the webbing but I am not too worried about this setup at it does not move at all, it is quite rigid.

The buckles have adjusters on them that pull tight securely enough and I go ahead and feed the webbing back thorugh the buckle and tie it off.

The webbing attachment looks rough to me, but it allowed me to use the belts without worry. I spent untold hours working this thing out but it is exactly what I wanted. attaching it with webbing is the easy part, I just cant be arsed at the moment. too much other stuff to do.

so by putting weight off from your body, does it produce softer landing(ie, putting less load on your leg and joints while having less than perfect landing)???
I've only wear weights couple times but I can tell you that a foot drop or run outs with 10-15lbs weight wasn't all that fun for my ankle..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Weight is weight, once it is clipped on you are still carrying it, but you don't have to have it on until you load the plane.

With this design it is not in a belt that wrps around you body so no bulk between you and your rig.

My ass/coxox is what I am most worried about, in distance rounds (my favorite). If you end up out of the sandpit and milk every cm out of it you can land quite hard on your ass, That is why I will develop the tail bone protector that has the icorporated RDS pouch and leg strap protectors...