aesalon

how to swoop

can someone please explain to me the bare bones of actually performing a standard swoop. go into as much detail as you want. what you do with what riser or toggle at what point, and so on. also differences in approach or any differences in gear.

don't worry, i won't try it based only on advice given here. i'm only an armchair skydiver for the time being unfortunately.

also, maybe someone has a good link that will explain it all.

wow, that's a very responsible website. despite the disclaimer, they make no description of the actual procedures involved in swooping. i suppose they really want to paint a wholesome picture of the sport. and they don't want to be to blame for someone getting hurt or killed by going out and trying it based only on things they've read. perfectly understandable. even admirable.

wasn't really what i was after though. i suppose it's kind of like being a master illusionist. you don't get to learn the tricks untill you put in some time with the magicians first.

more like being a biochemist though really. don't get to play with the deadly germs until you show that you won't knock over the test tube.

thank you though, it was helpfull.

don't want to be to blame for someone getting hurt or killed

You should seek a proper CP instruction before attempting any swooping ;)

Swooping has always fascinated me and i love watching it and talking to them. I think it's a part of skydiving that takes time and effort (not to mention about 1000 jumps :P) to be a good canopy pilot:)
have you looked on here...
http://www.canopypiloting.com
some interesting threads on there to read
If in doubt, whip it out...

i certainly won't try it without doing a lot more jumps or without personal instruction from a qualified person.

for the time being, i'm only interested in knowing the mechanics of the actual execution of the technique on a sort of academic basis if you will. like a primer on theory, not as instructions for practice. i realize that such information would be available to anyone who wants to read it here though, so if swoopers don't feel comfortable divulging it, i understand.

i can wait.

yeah, no DZ on this little island (st. croix). i won't be visiting the one on the neighboring island (puerto rico) anytime soon either. just saving my money till i can go back to skydive arizona in a year or so.

hence the "academic basis", "primer in theory", "armchair skydiver" talk. just keeping my mind busy and getting intelectually prepared for the fun ahead right now.

i certainly won't try it without doing a lot more jumps or without personal instruction from a qualified person.

You can't just 'try' swooping. It's something you have to work towards gradually. It's a journey (and pretty exciting for that matter).

for the time being, i'm only interested in knowing the mechanics of the actual execution of the technique on a sort of academic basis if you will.

Knowing the mechanics of what riser to pull isn't that useful - it's recognizing what kind of input is needed in a given situation and all the way until you're safely on the ground.

That said, If you're still interested to get a head start on the theoretical side, Brian Germain wrote an excellent book (Parachute and it's pilot) that could be just what you're looking for:
http://www.bigairsportz.com/publishing.php#parachute

thanks for the advice everyone, i've recieved some imformative PM's to satisfy my interest for now. and the checklist link was extremely helpfull. i will definitely not be doing anything stupid like trying to swoop right away once i get back into skydiving.

i'll probably take a course on canopy control, and get lots of input from qualified swoopers, and i'll probably not be attempting to swoop until i rack up at least a hundred new jumps after i return to the sport.

blue skies

can someone please explain to me the bare bones of actually performing a standard swoop.

watch, learn, discuss, perfect standard approaches and accuracy first, then get coaching and by then you will yourself know what you have to do.

I know you are probably just being an inquisitive newbie, but swoopoing is not a thing that should be rushed and you ar a long way off yet.

You are a long time dead, what is the hurry!

Be safe have fun.

:)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

can someone please explain to me the bare bones of actually performing a standard swoop.

To swoop: Perform a diving turning manuver in order to throw yourself at the ground at an insane rate of speed and incredibly steep angle; only to miss by the narrowest of margins.B|:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

To swoop: Perform a diving turning manuver in order to throw yourself at the ground at an insane rate of speed and incredibly steep angle; only to miss by the narrowest of margins.B|:D

You missed the whole idea!

to swoop: to gain as long horizontal flight over the ground as possible by all means necessary

Ok here's the answer to your question. That's just something that I learned from others and try to mimic. Get to your turning point at the altitude you want. To do that you need to be at the previous "check" points at certain altitudes but because conditions usualy changes from jump to jump this part is one of the trickiest to master. Now once I get to the initiation point at the good altitude I release the brakes(i am flying at half brakes through my pattern) pull down both risers for about 3s then start to release the oposite riser a bit (I make left 270 so release right side) do it slow and kick (with harness) the last 110 degrees or so for the maximum speed at the end of the turn. The goal is to have the most power at the end of the turn. Then there are other tricks for when you a little low or high: speed up the turn slow down the turn get bigger in the harness get smaller in the harness. It takes a lot of jumps to master these things and swooping can only be learned by doing hnp's and high alt hnp's. Hope this helps to paint a little picture of what it is.

Awwww..... our little shimas is all grown up now :-P

so to the OP if you look at Shimas's posts about swooping you will see he was given a lot of good advice that only made sense after a shitload of training :-P

so listen a lot dont rush things cause in the end it will take time anyway...

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Thank you for the kind word ;) however I am far from grown up in this sport if it is possible at all.

I like how teachable you have become...the more open we are to learn the more open we are to stay alive :-)

see ya soon I hope

dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.