scotts

Nuther packing ?

Watching a packer, I noticed that they did not make the first 'S' fold as normal, only the second, before putting the canopy in the bag. at which point they then made the first 'S' fold and stuffed it in the bag. Tried this myself on a new ZP canopy and it's much easier to deal with getting it in the bag. I've used this packer before and never had any problems.

Does anyone know of problems with this type of packing or is it as safe as any others?

Does anyone know of problems with this type of packing or is it as safe as any others?

I have always packed like that, for several thousands of pack jobs, and tend to not have many problems/complaints except for people watching me pack and getting worried because they don't know that style of packing.

I'm a nubie to the sport (26 jumps) and have only packed my last 10 jumps. Like most other nubies I was taking 45 min to 1 hour to pack before a packer showed me this method. I've packed the last 3 this way. Takes a lot of the frustration out of a tight pack job. Openings have been good and I can get packed in about 30 mins.

After looking at your drawing, I realize that I have been using a variation on your nuther technique.
Once the canopy is coccooned, burritoed, call-it-what-you-will, I kneel on the top corners of the orange warning label.
I slide the d-bag between the canopy and the floor, clamping the lower corners of the flap with my knees. My knees stay in the same place for the next four steps, preventing the lines and slider from wandering.
Then I grab the canopy halfway up and stuff it into the top of the d-bag.
I cram the top 1/4 of the canopy into the d-bag and cock the piltochute, still with my knees clamping the slider and lines.
Finally, I lift my knees, tilt the d-bag onto its top end and shove the bottom 1/4 of the canopy, including the slider into the middle of the d-bag. Once the first stow has been made in the first rubber band, I catch my breath.