Frank

JVX vs VX RDS

I would appreciate feedback and opinions on this please... How big of a difference would it make on the oppenings if I put an RDS built for a VX96 on my JVX90. The JVX slider is a bit bigger so my first guess is faster oppenings but i'm curious to see what people think about that. Would it be a totaly stupid idea ? Thanks !

Frank

Short reply: dont do it
Longer reply: Dont do it or you WILL get slammed.
Long reply: Seriously, dont do it. JVX NEEDS those ears to prevent the air from rushing into the canopy on opening. If you dont have them - it will slam you. Bad. Awhile back, when i just switched from VX96 to JVX87, I modified my VX RDS and put ears on it, just like the aftermarket JVX RDS. I only did 4 jumps with it... Right out the door was more or less OK, but at 4-5 second delays the openings with that slightly smaller VX slider EVEN modified like that were pretty bad... I didnt even dare take it to full speed.

Hope that helps :)

SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

It comes down to what you want in an opening. For me I've used the same RDS for atleast a half dozen different canopies and have had no complaints about the opening. I don't think slider size is as rocket science as some make it out to be. I've used Precision aero's RDS on a VX 85 and also the same RDS on a JVX 75. Its the same slider I've used on my Xaos 68 and then the same slider I've used on a canopy as big as a Sabre 135:D All with comfortable opening.

Edit: no pun intended in the first sentance

Na' Cho' Cheese

i've jumped the same slider for a jvx 87, vx 84, velo 90, and velo 84, all with good openings.
i've jumped different sized sliders on velo's ranging from 75 - 96 (ie both big and small sliders on a 75), that had some effect on openings from what i noticed but not enough to concern me.
i've also jumped different type rings (ie aluminum, stainless thick, and stainless thin) and that had more effect then slider size that i noticed.
out of all that the only time i didn't like the openings was when i was jumping aluminum rings with a small slider on a larger canopy, other than that the differences were too small and inconsistant to make up my mind either way. hope that helps.

btw, what i like best are stainless steel rings and a small slider on the 79/84 and a large slider on the 90/96 from PEA engineering.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I don't think slider size is as rocket science as some make it out to be.

I think you'll find most manufacturers will disagree with that statement.

That's right, its rocket surgery!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

think you'll find most manufacturers will disagree with that statement.

It would be interesting to test manufactures slider size. I'm not sure about PD or icarus/Daaudalus but I know for a fact the precision only has 2 slider sizes for all the xaos canopies.

And like many others, we've tried different canopies with the same size RDS

As for rocket science/surgery I don't know what kind of R&D takes place. one extreme to the other would be just taking 4 grommets and some material and hoping it works and the other would be like some weird computer system to do calculations (if any)
Na' Cho' Cheese