hobie331

Safire 149 to Crossfire 139

I've been jumping a Safire2 149 and occasionally a Safire1 149. 1.4 W/L, 150+ jumps on them. I'm getting ready to try a Crossfire1 139 with the line modification.
What can/should I expect? And for Xfire jumpers, what's the difference between the 1 & 2? I'm just not getting much information in my readings between the two.
Thanks.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

What can/should I expect?

Going elliptical? Slower openings, funky openings, a bit lower point of flare, more bottom end flare.

One size down? More speed, longer recovery, more sensitive for harness turns.

I wouldn't charcaterize the crossfire as having funky openings, at least not the Crossfire2. By a long shot, it is the nicest opening canopy I have ever jumped, at least the one that I own (and still have despite mostly jumping a velo now)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

>And for Xfire jumpers, what's the difference between the 1 & 2?

Huge. I had a Xfire1 99 for a while and didn't like it one bit. I got the line mod done and that improved it somewhat, but didn't make it a great canopy. I sold it a few months later.

Now I have a Xfire2 109 (same size as I understand it; they changed their sizing rules) and I like it a lot.

Interestingly, I've been jumping the Safire2 109 as well, and in many respects I like it better than the Crossfire. Lighter front riser pressure, longer recovery arc, stronger flare, better openings.

Bill, you already made this statement and I was really surprised at the time. But this year I have a Xfire 2 169 in my container, after 100 jumps on a Safire 2 last year, I made 60 jumps and I totally agree with your observation. I am really surprised by the Xfire2 and a bit disapointed: hard front risers, very difficult to maintain in a dive when the recovery has started. In this size and kind I prefer the Katana a lot or even the Safire/Sabre... Big surprise for me:o

> So you are saying XF 99 is about the same size as XF2 109 ?

Nope, I messed that up. The canopy that they "changed the size on" was the Safire, not the Crossfire. (Also had one of them for a while, a 129 that I guess was really a 119.)