stimpy4242

Packing technique clarification

I was down at skydive space center in florida and someone there showed me a cool packing trick to help me get my zp chute in the bag. Basically once it was in the bag it would look the same as if it were pro packed with the s curve, but he lay out on it and then rolled the very end under just a bit which did not allow air to come in, he then folded that long part in half over the chute and put that part in the bag and then dropped the s fold into the middle of the part that was in the bag...so basically it was the same shape thats in the bag when you finish packing it normally with the pro pack...

JUST A NOTE. THIS WAS NOT PSYCHO PACKING. I KNOW WHAT THAT IS. Does anyone know what the above thing is called or have a video of it?
Jump at The Skydivin' Place
http://www.skydivepa-md.com

what is psycho packing anyway? Does it involve using your feet or something? ;P

I pack my pilot 168 like the way in your pictures, now that it has some jumps on it i'm starting the regular pro pack again.

never had any problems but i do think that with the reverse s packing method you have to take a bit more care on the slider side, so that it doesnt come off its stops. I also think the lines are a little bit more messy with the reserve s method.

had major problems getting my new 168 in the bag at first. Now I think that had much more to do with my packing skill at that time, than the packing method. It's all about keeping the canopy smothered with knee/hands at all times. Just take it easy, dont rush and it will go in... eventually ;P

When I asked my rigger what a psycho-pack was he looked me in the eye and said "it's how you shouldn't pack your chute". As for the described method of packing it's very similar to one way I was shown and yes it seems to work very well with those slippery zero-p canopies.l

-Michael

When I asked my rigger what a psycho-pack was he looked me in the eye and said "it's how you shouldn't pack your chute". As for the described method of packing it's very similar to one way I was shown and yes it seems to work very well with those slippery zero-p canopies.l

-Michael

Chances are that George Galloway (president of Precision Aerodynamics, designed the Batwing and other canopies) knows a lot more about parachutes than your rigger. He came up with the precision pack.

Mechanically, it's safer than a pro-pack because you don't need to roll the tail which in turn pulls the steering lines around towards the nose of the canopyl.

had major problems getting my new 168 in the bag at first. Now I think that had much more to do with my packing skill at that time, than the packing method.

Why do you think so? Successful packing is about having the material in control. IMHO method and skills are going together.

Like this.

Thank you for posting these pictures. Thats exactly what i was shown. The only addition I would make is at the very beginning after flattening out the canopy and making it the size to put into the d bag, he rolled the very end where the d-bag was attached underneath its self very small and tight all around that end. He said this prevented the air from entering back in. It seems to make a big difference.

Thank you everyone for clarifying.
Jump at The Skydivin' Place
http://www.skydivepa-md.com

Hey man, I'm in the same position, I just bought a brand new 190 sabre 2 and its really hard to pack and get the air out. I tried many methods and i usually do the first s fold with the nose first(Skinny end) but check this video out, he does it the way you describe, the skinny end s fold last into the bag after the canopy's in there. Its a two part video, check out the end of the first video .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXiK89iWhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELG-EG3YL54&feature=channel