morris

Competitionwindlimit too high?

Hi guys (and girls)...

I´d like to get the opinions of the competitors out there about the wind limits we have at the moment in our rules.
I guess those limits have just been chosen because it´s been like this for good old Accuracy?!
How many pilots are out there who are able to fly the official accuracy course in a 14 knots headwind?
How many will do well at carving-speed in a 14 knots crosswind coming "wrong way"?
Who really likes to go for distance in a 14 knots downwind?
The IPC is always very willing to change the rules the way the competitors like to have´em...

Although it's not as much fun, I tend to do better in competition than most when the winds are high or difficult to negotiate. Into the wind, cross wind, down wind... whatever. It doesn't bother me too much.
I've competed in winds that were much higher than 14 knots, and things got kind of dangerous for many of the competitors.
14 knots seems to be a good number in my opinion.

All the comps I've been to have been run such that they try to get competitors through when the winds are low. If they have to postpone an event to get to more favorable wind conditions, they will. The only time that hasn't happened was at the world cup a coupld of years ago in Lake Wales, and it was always windy at that time, so they had to put us up in winds.

What I would say is that I don't like having to compete if it gets much above about 7 mph, but when the winds get high it really seperates the men from the boys. Those condtions are tough to swoop in. Also, it's obviously critical that when putting on a comp that each competitor get even winds. When the winds get high they are often gusty which leads to uneven conditions.

The other thing I would say is I was at one comp where we wound up going downwind in ~10 mph. This was back before the weight limits, so people were wearing 30 lbs, 40 lbs, or even more, then ripping it downwing in fast conditions. The result was some pretty scary landings and a couple of injuries. I'd say for safety resons it's just plain dumb to do that.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

I think that a very good topic. IIRC it was also raised at the last year USPA CP Nationals in Chicago where the winds were very strong resulting in several re-jumps. We ran into that issue at a few regional meets in FL CPC last year as well.

A thing to remember: wind speed at 1500 feet is also very important for our set up just as the ground wind speed. Probably unrealistic to expect that it could be monitored in the same manner as ground speed, but i think it should be given some consideration. Perhaps a certain limit on it as well?

P.S. Just to add a personal opinion: on fun jumping weekends I usually consider NOT jumping at all if the winds are above 12-13 knots, it just kills all the fun of a landing. I still jump when it promises to be a good jump, if not - i go drink a beer .. err.. i mean a Corona. But i am puss when it comes to winds - I give Motherland a bad name and my comrades are ashamed of me...

A thing to remember: wind speed at 1500 feet is also very important for our set up just as the ground wind speed. Probably unrealistic to expect that it could be monitored in the same manner as ground speed, but i think it should be given some consideration. Perhaps a certain limit on it as well?

I disagree. Dealing with strong upper winds is part of competition and builds important skills.

Of course, dealing with the same winds on the deck presents a safety issue if not handled correctly (in course setup).

Personally I hate competing in anything over 10mph, but as long as it's not a safety issue (17 mph downwind) I'll do it.

But i am puss when it comes to winds - I give Motherland a bad name and my comrades are ashamed of me...

I agree! Turbulence scares the everloving shit out of me and my opinion is that too few jumpers take it seriously. After watching my friends canopy totally fold up in some windy conditions because of rotors made me see the light many years ago. I certainly don't want to be under a napkin that's just folded up at 800 feet.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

learning how to set up in 15 mph crosswinds for carving courses is always a good time...although much better if you arent in the middle of a competition...

nothing like a 1/4 mile base leg

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I don't know how relative this is but a 7 knot wind at sea level and 7 knots at 5000' amsl does not feel the same to me. It feels as if the wind blows much harder at 5000' amsl to reach the 7 knots. Is this just me?
“It takes ten years to get ten years’ experience” Eric "tonto" Stephenson D515 PASA

FWIW, I for one will take my -0- score sitting on the ground as opposed to scaring the bejeezus out of myself and others with 15mph+ turbulent ground winds.:P. I'm sure I am not the only one that has jumped in questionable/high winds and had canopy "buckling" during a turn/plane out scaring the crap out of those watching and gained respect for turbulence and the potential dangers.
... but I am not a serious competitor and the question doesn't really apply to me at this point.
I do agree with Ian that honking uppers are part of the challenge in setting up and that shld not be the issue provided the competitor has a sufficiently good spot/fair chance to GET to the set up point. Its the winds from say 1K/1.5K' down that shld be considered as safety issue only, not "convenience".... now I am sure I have ticked off the wind Gods and will miss my set up points in Palatka with high X-winds that leave me short of the gates... I can see it already :ph34r: