phoenixlpr

Does anyone practicing right hand patterns for high speed landing?

In training and in competition I fly both left and right handed patterns (all dependent on the WX conditions and of course factoring in the local DZ landing rules). This way I can fly into any existing crosswind and get the push of the wind coming out of my turn.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm a left hand man, because that has been the most common pattern at DZ's I have jumped at.

i plan on practicing to be proficient in both directions but my left hand approach is most definitely the strongest at present.

blue skies,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Does anyone practicing right hand patterns( right turn only with any degree ) or the mirror image of the usual landing pattern for high speed landing? It could be handy in some situations like sun, obstacles or expected turbulence in the way.

In a righthand pattern you can make 90° turns to the right or 270 ° to the left and it is still a righthand pattern.

Does anyone practicing right hand patterns( right turn only with any degree ) or the mirror image of the usual landing pattern for high speed landing? It could be handy in some situations like sun, obstacles or expected turbulence in the way.

In a righthand pattern you can make 90° turns to the right or 270 ° to the left and it is still a righthand pattern.

You missed the thread, this is not that.

You missed the thread, this is not that.

Well in that case , I do a lefthanded 270 so I fly a right hand pattern. Of course I only do this when traffic, rules ... allow me to do this. Otherwise I abort this landing

I do left hand in all conditions.
My idea behind that is that - as long as you don´t have "unlimited" training possibilities (>1000jumps/year) - you´ll be more consistent if you´r doing the same type of turn every time and just move your initiation point.
Of course I agree that it´s way easier (in crosswind situations) to fly your set-up against the wind but it can be done downwind and is not as difficult as it might seem...

you´ll be more consistent if you´r doing the same type of turn every time

To each their own. Since I view every jump as different, I try not to get caught up in the "you'll never be consistent if you don't do it exactly the same way each time" mindset because this goes against how I was trained.

Before I get on the airplane I try to analyze (to the best of my ability) what the WX is doing, come up with a plan and once I approach my setup point in the air I decide which tool to whip out of the tool box of tricks to get down and into the entry gates. Does this mean I never make mistakes? Of course not ... I'm only human and not even remotely as talented or as experienced as some of the best in the world are. But it does mean that I am not worried about adapting to the conditions. To me I don't see a difference in my flying ability if I am turning left or right. It just doesn't seem to matter. What does matter is recognizing your progress in the middle of the turn and knowing how to adapt to whatever is happening up there.

To me, each jump is different.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over