like anything in skydiving, find someone who has experience doing it, and then ask them for help. GL may seem really docile but you can screw yourself up really quick really easily. Not sure of any places down in your area because you basically need a nice long steep hill wait reasonable wind up the face. Plenty of places in norcal if you can make the trip.

Hi,

Ground launching has recently been dubbed the more appropriate term Speedflying,

Although this is how paragliding began many years ago, Skydivers have more recently been 'Ground launching' high performance parachutes with the intention of swooping the ground rather than flying in the air!

Paragliders are doing the same thing with their own equipment recently, and have developed or should i say undeveloped their wings to a smaller 9 cell configuration in order to fly faster and in higher wind speeds. All paragliders are launched by foot and therefore the term 'ground launching' becomes indescriptive. The term 'Speedflying' has been adopted as it also differentiates between the new sport and regular paragliding.

What all this means is you are approaching a new sport/discipline that has limited participants.

There are people around that can teach you, there is also regulated courses available but generally you have to travel a long distance for those.

There are plenty of posts here on DZ.com and probably more so on canopypiloting.com

I suggest you read through as much as these as you can to get a better understanding of what you could be getting yourself into, This will help you to keep safe and get the most enjoyment out of it.

The good news is you can begin by practicing kiting your canopy in an open area with a few knots of wind, No slope is necessary but it sure does help. If you can find a small gentle slope then practice kiting your canopy over your head.

Talk to and watch paragliders launching their wings, but remember you too will be one of the pioneers of this sport if you begin, Speedflying can go wrong very quickly.

Please be safe!

Blue skies,

Rhyso
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

rhys- Since my computer is acting up again and I can't pull up your profile I'm going to assume your not from the US.

I have yet to hear anyone in the US refer to it as "speedflying" only those from Europe have been. In time who knows.

I will agree with everyone in do your homework and read about it. Seek help from an experienced canopy pilot who has GL experience. You could start kiting your canopy for practice and that you can do at home in your yard. Practice using toggles as well as both F & R risers. If you have paragliders in your are go watch them launch to give you a basic idea of how it is done. A no wind day it much harder to launch than a breezy day. Again, seek guidance before you ever attempt a launch on your own.

If you can't launch correctly you can cause some quick damage to your gear and the same is for landing only instead of the gear it is you that will be getting busted up. Just like jumping don't go flying without your brain bucket. It saved my face last week from a nasty down draft that slammed me on landing last week.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

you basically need a nice long steep hill

Not true - Ideally, for long, fun GL flights, a long steep hill is ideal, but for learning, a shallow one is far better. Launching off a steep hill takes real commitment - srtarting small is easier I think.

Matt,

Get lots and lots of practice at kiting your canopy before you even attempt to make your first launch. Unless you've got a big yard, I wouldn't bother doing it there - you'll move around lots under your canopy and turbulence from buildings doesn't make it any easier. Find a big open area and wear a helmet when you're doing ground work. :)

Learn how to make both reverse and forward launches and get comfortable switching between them.

Go to paragliding forums and learn as much about micrometeorology as you can. Remember, your launch and landing sites aren't like a DZ. You're responsible for working out where turbulence is likely, or where the places not to land are... Walk your route before launching.

To be honest, the paragliders can teach us a lot about this. It seems to me that we're more comfortable with flying fast, closer to the ground than they are at the moment, but they have a wealth of experience at launching and landing in off-dz conditions. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

As to the name - Ground Launching, Speed flying, Fixed-object Swooping... who cares?

That's all I got for now. Pics and video of some GL in the North of england after the weekend.

B|

rhys- Since my computer is acting up again and I can't pull up your profile I'm going to assume your not from the US.

I have yet to hear anyone in the US refer to it as "speedflying" only those from Europe have been. In time who knows.

if you look at canopypiloting.com you will see that is not the case.

But I have to agree that American take a while to catch up with the rest of the world, take the metric system for example:ph34r:;):D:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix