matt3sa

Maximizing front riser dive performance?

Finally made my first jumps on my xfire 1 139. Fun canopy to fly. Even more interesting with the 2 feet of snow on the ground! Granted, I've only made 3 jumps on this canopy, but I was a little surprised. I transitioned from a Stiletto 150. The recovery arc is definately different, but not anywhere near as different as thought it would be. I haven't jumped since November, and I was amazed at how easy the canopy was to fly. I had a tough time with the riser pressure. This canopy was part of the "service bulletin" through Icarus. The riser pressure seemed very high. Only slightly lighter than my old Stiletto. I'm just trying to figure out how to help overcome this riser pressure.

1. How much does wing load effect riser pressure? Would it be lighter under a higher loading?

2. On one of the jumps I made, I had excellent results from the front risers. My approach was slightly different. How does wind speed and wind direction towards the canopy effect riser pressure/dive performance? The winds were around 7 gusting 11. This particular jump was the only one that seemed to have lighter pressure. I've read all through these forums. I've tried the braked approach into harness turn and further into risers. On the jump that I had the most success on the front risers, I had both of my knees up to my chest while making the turn.

3. How do I get the best performance out of my harness turns? Loosen leg straps after opening? Tighter straps better? Suggestions as to how I can position them on my legs?

Thanks everyone,
Matt

What was wrong with the Stiletto?

Are you saying that the Stiletto had higher front riser pressure ??

You should'nt have any issues with front riser pressure, especially at a WL of 1.5 on either canopy!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

try this

instead of pulling down on your risers put your hands in the dive loops and bend your whole body over to drag them down...

also try giving harness you wil find it works very well on that cnaopy with 1.5 wingloading

also if your jump numbers are correct be careful and get coachign ASAP sorry to say that.

Cheers and safe swoops \

dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Before grabbing your risers fly in half brakes, release, then grab your risers. This will alleviate a lot of the pressure. Just be careful how fast/hard you pull the risers down as it will be a lot easier to get it into a dive and you may end up diving more than you wanted to.

also at 1.5 wingloading on a crossfire 2 129 I was starting my 180 from 500 ft.

My turn was started from half brakes with heavy harness, then to double fronts then offset then to double....

Try all these things up top...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

3. How do I get the best performance out of my harness turns? Loosen leg straps after opening? Tighter straps better? Suggestions as to how I can position them on my legs?

Just after opening, pull your knees up and slide your legstraps down to the meaty portion of your thighs. Continue flying like that (knees together and up) and then lever your legs, one all the way up and the other all the way down to get the most torque out of your harness turns. If you legstraps are all the way up next to your nuts you are never going to get any leverage out of your harness.

Chuck

My turn was started from half brakes with heavy harness, then to double fronts then offset then to double....

Maybe a side issue: everyone has different approaches to initiating the turn. Personally I make a half-braked approach (or something around there) which is more to help get into the right 3D space than anything else. At the initiation point, I slowly pull the riser down, whilst simultaneously putting a lot of harness lean in; this is the same for doing a 270 on my Safire2, Xfire2 or Velo. Smooth input is key for me. At the roll-out stage (so it's finished diving) I push the rears apart - the surge of speed you get on the Xfire2 the first time I did that was cool!

The reason why I wrote this? Isn't the key to safety when swooping to make predictable "cookie cutter" (as all the American coaches I've had like to call it :P) turns? Surely the more complicated you make it, the more difficult it is to reproduce the turn?

Not Dave in particular, but some people - when I hear how they describe how they initiate - it all sounds so complicated... :S
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13