ozzy13

Re: [smkdvr628] A friend of mine told me...

I am looking to start swooping (straight in or 90 turns) A friend of mine told me to stall the canopy before I grab the front raisers . Does anyone know if thats turn .He said it is easier to pull them down that way.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

A friend of mine told me to stall the canopy before I grab the front raisers . Does anyone know if thats turn .He said it is easier to pull them down that way.

errrrr stall? No.

You can use your toggles to slow down your canopy and decrease your front riser pressure, but stalling it at that altitude isn't the wisest thing to do IMO.

Find a mentor at your dz, preferably someone with some competition experience (if possible) and work on a structured progression.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

So that is true.

THis is a scary statement. Usualy we read stuff on the internet, and check with others to see if it's OK. Now we're doing the reverse. The entire idea of learning to swoop on the internet is flawed in so many ways. It's like the "Learn to fight like Bruce Lee in 7 days" book being read to you in Swahili over the phone.

Good luck with that.

Anyway. Thread drift. Your question had nothing to do with riser vs toggle, so I'm starting a new thread.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

come up to the ranch and ask around for skyjunky...

I will talk to you in person about the progression and maybe even do some fun full altitude hop and pops with ya....

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

THis is a scary statement. Usualy we read stuff on the internet, and check with others to see if it's OK. Now we're doing the reverse.

I am NOT learning to swoop from the internet .I had a question about taking pressure off the front risers.Everyone is so critical on this web site .Whats the deal

I will talk to you in person about the progression and maybe even do some fun full altitude hop and pops with ya....

Dave

Ok that sounds good ..I did 2 AFF jumps last year with Steve and Big Jim and just got done with Scott millers canopy course. Scott said he mite be at the Ranch so I can take the Advance course .

Dave

Ok that sounds good ..I did 2 AFF jumps last year with Steve and Big Jim and just got done with Scott millers canopy course. Scott said he mite be at the Ranch so I can take the Advance course .

Yeah come hit me up and I and perhaps some others will work with you on the beginnings of what you need to do and why...

Ha!

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

it seems as if there are still nice dz's which are really fun to jump at, where there are some good dudes who share their experience with each other:)

it seems as if there are still nice dz's which are really fun to jump at, where there are some good dudes who share their experience with each other:)

I just realized that he is close to me and would like to help teach someone properly instead of just bitchign them out...I feel that we can work pattern and work on flying the canopy to its potential at altitude and learn a lot of shit before even thinking of the ground stuff...

When I had about his number of jumps I started aggressively doing high altitude hop and pops because I loved flying canopies, flying the canopy and learning about about its flight characteristics became a passion..

I don't mind passing that passion along and maybe try to help someone learn at a proper progression rate (with help from others as well) which is a lot easier to do in person so that what is being said wont be construed as belittling.

Cheers

Dave

You've got less than 200 landings. You shouldn't seek to accelerate them just yet. Make sure you can do flat turns and land crosswind before experimenting with depressurizing your canopy and using front risers. You need these skills as much as anything else. How else are you going to land if you need to abort a high performance landing? (too late to setup, someone enters the airspace you're going to need, someone cuts you up...)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

You've got less than 200 landings. You shouldn't seek to accelerate them just yet. Make sure you can do flat turns and land crosswind before experimenting with depressurizing your canopy and using front risers. You need these skills as much as anything else. How else are you going to land if you need to abort a high performance landing? (too late to setup, someone enters the airspace you're going to need, someone cuts you up...)

Yes I do need these skills and I practice them all the time ( on every opening) I am not really looking to swoop yet . I just want to start praticing and see how much Atl. I use up high ..But thanks for your comments

Cool! Don't get me wrong; practising with risers and all the available controls of your canopy up high is essential. I was just trying to point out that you should be well dialed in to a particular landing (whatever that might be) before complicating it with extra speed, recovery arcs etc... ;)

Sounds like you're going about it the right sort of way. Just don't ever scare yourself. If you do, at least have the common sense to reign-in on whatever you were doing.

It's all been said a thousand times I'm sure... and it'll be said a few trillion times yet! :P
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

IF your looking for coaching, for your own sake, please seek out a qualified professional for advice. Someone who has years of teaching and experience. You can listen to advice from friends and acquaintances with a little bit of experience, but take it for what it is - a LITTLE bit more experience then yours. If you have to pay for services of a professional canopy instructor - so be it, you will get what you paid for and will save time and money in the long run.